[Solved] Ethernet over Power

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
Hey guys,

I found out about Ethernet over Power Adapters, but I have no idea how effective they are. Do any of you have experience with them? Would you or would you not recommend them?

Reasoning: my family is looking to move and roughly 90% of the houses we have found are not prewired for Ethernet. I haven't found any companies in my area (Idaho) that offer wiring for houses that are already finished, only the ones currently under construction (which are a bit more expensive).

If you guys could help me out, that'd be great.

dead mike

TD Member, Legend, Puncher of Faces, Chatbox King
Man for like $50-150 get some nice wireless router and adapter that's probably just as good as Ethernet.

Shotgun Jesus

Professional Cocksucker
Staff member
I don't have them, but I know those who do. They seem to work just fine, but I'm not entirely sure how they compare to straight wired. You also don't necessarily need a fancy company to install -- any electrician that does rewires would know how to wire your house for ethernet.

I just wired my sister's house for ethernet, but I'm not going to Idaho for your ass. Maybe if you blow me and give up your anus.

Sushicutter

TD Admin
I`m assuming you`re talking about powerline? I've never used it personally, but supposedly it can be a little finicky. From what I've read it really depends on how your electrical system is set up, and how old it is/well its been maintained. Trying to get it set up in an older building with old wiring/fuses probably won't work very well. Also, they tend to work better when you set up the network on the same electrical circuit. Plug them right into the wall socket, not into extension cords/surge protectors, etc.

Here's a video comparing performance between wireless and powerline

Reactions: 47

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Give him the anus, dude.. 100% signal.

Ethernet AC power adapters work if the two ends are on the same breaker. If not, it will be finnicky at best. Even when in ideal environment, they're finnicky. Worst comes to worst, run cat5e or 6 through your HVAC, that's what I did for two bedrooms and it works fine. It's messy unless you hide behind/near dressers n shit, but it works. Just use a long (min 25-foot) wire fisher and you're good to go.

Thanatos

TD Member
Give him the anus, dude.. 100% signal.

Ethernet AC power adapters work if the two ends are on the same breaker. If not, it will be finnicky at best. Even when in ideal environment, they're finnicky. Worst comes to worst, run cat5e or 6 through your HVAC, that's what I did for two bedrooms and it works fine. It's messy unless you hide behind/near dressers n shit, but it works. Just use a long (min 25-foot) wire fisher and you're good to go.
If you're running it through HVAC make sure your cables are rated for extreme temperatures