EVGA 1080/1070/1060 stuff

TankClash

TF2 Staff | Chief Peon
"EVGA offers updated BIOS, RMA cross-shipping for GTX 1080, 1070, 1060 failures"

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...ted-gtx-1080-1070-1060-failures?source=gaming

This includes GTX 1080 & 1070 ACX, SC, FTW & FTW DT models and exludes the Classified edition
In regards to power delivery and effecting the VRM's tempuratures...

VRM = 64℃ - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 GAMING >> http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_1070_g1_gaming_review,10.html

VRM = 57℃ - ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX Gaming >> http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_1070_strix_gaming_review,10.html

VRM = 69℃ - MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming Z >> http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1070_gaming_z_review,9.html

VRM = 96℃ - EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming >> http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/evga_geforce_gtx_1070_sc_superclocked_gaming_review,10.html

But if you're on water block you probably won't have to worry about it.

Last edited:

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
You should provide context for this instead of just pasting a google link...

Anyway, ACX coolers are notoriously the worst coolers that ever set foot on the market. They're much, much worse than the stock design.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
Rocking a
Code:
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G Video Card 8GB GDDR5X 256-Bit PCI Express SATA HDMI/DVI-D/3xDisplayPort Retail
because that's what my invoice says.

Haven't had time to really dial it in to find it's limit, just pushed the sliders on MSI Afterburner all the way to the right for Core Voltage (100%), Power Limit (121%) and Temp Limit (92 C).

Then did a custom fan profile that basically ends with 100% @ 80 C (never gets there). Then Googled various clocks, took an average and punched up +177 Core Clock MHz and +196 Memory Clock MHz.

I hit 2139 MHz boost, but my steady boost clock is 2120 MHz. For reference that's BF1 all ultra @ 1080p only with Ambient Occlusion OFF for a steady 140-143 FPS (I lock the max at 143) on my 144 Hz monitor. As I get to the limits of the card (haven't even crashed it yet), I'll start adding back Ambient Occlusion.

PSA: Discord and BF1 (last 3 Nvidia drivers since BF1 launch) do not get along - instant Direct X error.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Good edit. I'm still unsure of what/when I'll upgrade to from my 780Ti. Prices are hilarious, so I will wait, and no games worth it yet (BF1 is shit). Only thing for sure is just like my 780Ti, my next GPU won't even be turned on - straight disassembled and a water block put on :D

TankClash

TF2 Staff | Chief Peon
I don't use water cooling on mine(yet), I'm just worried about this "oven effect" being caused from the lack of contact between the VRM and MOSFET with the back plate and heatsink, though I did ask them to send me the free thermal pad mod EVGA offers.

The card is noticeably hot running idle from feel, and the only sensor reading I can get is the GPU which is around 35C idle and 60-70 underload.

I was considering the cross RMA thing but I don't think they do that for Canada, and I don't have a spare GPU and not intel CPU with IG , also hate waiting.

Last edited:

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
If those temperatures are accurate, you're well within normal for air cooling. There's a few things you can do on your end to aid your cause like:

1. In the NVidia driver control panel, choose "Adaptive Power" under power settings. I do prefer "Maximum Performance", though, as I've noticed random throttling in games before. This is the GPU equivalent of Intel Speed Stepping - slows the clock speed down when not in use/browsing prons.

Note, the backplate has absolutely zero thermal impact to your GPU. This is a sales gimmick - literally. A backplate is helpful for a very heavy card, or for people like me where a heavy water cooling block is being used. It adds rigidity.

If I were you, I would outright return the card and purchase one from MSI, ASUS or Gigabyte. Hands-down best clocks and cooling IF you've got a good case.

If you're using a case with little to no venting, the reference design is the best choice as it spits hot air out of the back while modified designs like those from MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte etc. all spit hot air out the sides and all over. Keep this in mind as you purchase/exchange/etc.

TankClash

TF2 Staff | Chief Peon
EVGA_Card_Damaged.jpg

Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-1070-EVGA-FTW-VRMs-Catching-Fire-1920x1080.jpg

Nah my case has decent airflow, but these images are a bit worrying... and one of these aren't from running benchmarks... But could have been from any random real world failure scenario... but both owned their cards for quite awhile before these failures.

And while I do agree about that back plate gimmick Min being a 10.5 inch card is the limit I can actually fit in my case I was going to go for another but it was about 1.5 inches to long, and don't feel like replace my case atm

( don't want to re do computer assembly thing again, also investing in a SFF case for a 10.5'''' card but saving up for more components SSDS mini ATX intel board and ram and what not... god I hate money)

While I did get quite a good deal for mine from a retail knowing people there, but the main point they shouldn't have overlooked this in production.

EVGA done messed up.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
Rocking a
Code:
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G Video Card 8GB GDDR5X 256-Bit PCI Express SATA HDMI/DVI-D/3xDisplayPort Retail
because that's what my invoice says.

Haven't had time to really dial it in to find it's limit, just pushed the sliders on MSI Afterburner all the way to the right for Core Voltage (100%), Power Limit (121%) and Temp Limit (92 C).

Then did a custom fan profile that basically ends with 100% @ 80 C (never gets there). Then Googled various clocks, took an average and punched up +177 Core Clock MHz and +196 Memory Clock MHz.

I hit 2139 MHz boost, but my steady boost clock is 2120 MHz. For reference that's BF1 all ultra @ 1080p only with Ambient Occlusion OFF for a steady 140-143 FPS (I lock the max at 143) on my 144 Hz monitor. As I get to the limits of the card (haven't even crashed it yet), I'll start adding back Ambient Occlusion.

PSA: Discord and BF1 (last 3 Nvidia drivers since BF1 launch) do not get along - instant Direct X error.

** UPDATE: I've hit 2150 MHz max boost with upping my Core Clock to +187 MHz which gives me 2139MHz as my stable boost. Still no crashes, so I'll push this when I have time. And then once I start crashing, I'll scale back and see if I can add AO back and keep my desired 143 FPS.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
** UPDATE: I've hit 2150 MHz max boost with upping my Core Clock to +187 MHz which gives me 2139MHz as my stable boost. Still no crashes, so I'll push this when I have time. And then once I start crashing, I'll scale back and see if I can add AO back and keep my desired 143 FPS.
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11740593
SCORE X10994 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080(1x) and Intel Core i7-4770K

Still haven't had the proper time to tweak the card up, but no crashes either.
From Afterburner, MAX readings for this test unless otherwise noted:
Power % = 120
GPU Temp = 69 C
Fan Speed = 67 %
GPU Usage = 100% (lol)
GPU Voltage = 1.093V
Core Clock = 2164 MHz (avg. 2128-2139)
Memory Clock = 10,400 MHz (5200x2)
FPS = 118

More details (and certainly better averages) at the link above.