• Please remember to wrap not safe for work text/images in [NSFW][/NSFW] tags.
    Example: [NSFW][img]http://darklygaming.com/images/spinnysgapedass.jpg[/img][/NSFW]

Sony Hack - someone help me out here

Slawek

TD Admin
I've been living under a rock. Can someone with knowledge on the subject please explain wtf this sony hack is all about?

A movie was made or something, now movie theatres won't play it, sony got hacked... WTF? When did the hack happen? WHy? Who What WHEN WHHHEEERREE HOWWWWWWWWWW

AAA

A Little Darkly
Steve Maybe you need to do some research Sony is not an American company Its japan.
Nope, Sony Pictures Entertainment (the one that got hacked) is an American company, Sony just bought it out, so technically it is American, just under a Japanese corporation.

Fork Included

TD Admin
this is what I understand from les internets

once upon a time sony gun dun goofed and started making aggressive DRM on their products. This irritated some people and hackers decided to fuck Sony up.

Then it turned out that Sony didn't really have good cyber protection, and that they never bothered upgrading them after various attacks, so people just kept attacking them.

and sony is like DERP?

Last edited:

MetalLobster

TD Admin
From what I read, Sony's done some really stupid shit, like storing the user ID and passwords of everyone on a single file in an excel sheet without salt + hash.

When the PlayStation Network got hacked three years ago, same shit. User info and passwords stored in unencrypted. Did Sony hire a monkey as their CISO?

I wonder if NK got help from China or Russia.

MetalLobster

TD Admin

Thanks for sharing. I wish my semester wasn't over so I could hear what my profs have to say.

The articles are worth looking at, but TL,DR :
  1. Evidence suggest NK did not do it. IP MASQ. and other programming tricks are making the investigation of the malware difficult. The group responsible call themselves GOP, Guardians of Peace.
  2. The sophistication of the attack points to an insider, but Schneier doesn't believe so. The attacker responsible was very skilled and had extensive knowledge of Sony's architecture that can only be gained by either an insider or spying using various tools.
  3. With that said, Sony committed lots of security no-no's (storing information in plain-text...etc, using easy passwords, etc.).
  4. The attack initially went after mundane information (emails, user info., etc.) , released it, then threaten Sony to not release The Interview.
  5. The attacker did not do this for money. The information could have been sold, but wasn't. The exact reason is not known yet.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Bullshit the information wasn't sold, why the fuck do you think we have garbage faggot pakies calling us 24/7 from their vonage ip phones asking if we want our ducts cleaned?

Macido

DARKLY Regular
I don't believe anyone was hacked at Sony. This is the latest fad of attention whoring publicity.
The Kardashian's have MASTERED the art of this style of staying relevant in the news while accomplishing absolutely nothing of meaning in life.
These people WANT to be in the news every fucking day so they create these scandals to bump attention.
It's genius marketing on some level by some clever minded agencies who understand what the public will find titillating.