Parts Questions

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I'm curious too, as you could use a little more power there. Also, I'm not so sure about "H" chipsets. Last i heard of them was on the H67 line and they were not good at all.

14bux

Senior TF2 Admin
Currently the vid card is like $100, I wanted to keep the price below $700 if I could.
I'm curious too, as you could use a little more power there. Also, I'm not so sure about "H" chipsets. Last i heard of them was on the H67 line and they were not good at all.
Any other chipsets you would rather recommend? I'm up for spending a little over $700 as long as it's a good product.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Currently the vid card is like $100, I wanted to keep the price below $700 if I could.

Any other chipsets you would rather recommend? I'm up for spending a little over $700 as long as it's a good product.
I would recommend at least looking for the "Z" variant instead of the H, so Z97-whatever your board is, or a similar board. If the price gap is low, go for it, you won't regret it.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Also if you're not planning on overclocking you can probably save a few bucks on the i7 by going for the non-K version (if there is one).
Agreed.

You could get the non-k cpu, get a P97 (Z97 is more performance/features), and shop for hdd deals, there's a shit load on now.

For ~$600 budget, I'll show you what I would buy. I'll check shit after work for you and post.

Also, what games you play, what do you use your computer for, mostly?

EDIT: you've already answered: tf2 and modeling. Got it. I'll hook you up.

AAA

A Little Darkly
If you think the gtx 650 is enough power for you and the one you found is 100.
im assuming its the non TI version since you didnt say it. cyber monday at canadacomputers, you can get the 650 for 75, shave 25 to something else. or get a gtx 750 for 100. slightly better. very similar to the 650TI except with a new architecture.

edit, oh shit thought you were in canada

14bux

Senior TF2 Admin
Don't mean to necropost this thread, but I've bought all the parts I need for the computer (I think). I'll list 'em here but if you guys want specs, I'll see if I can find 'em. I'm just hoping that they all hook up. It'd be a pain if they didn't.

Also, idk how to tell if a graphics card is SLI compatible, so I just hoped as that's what I was told to get.

Ultra LS Series V2 600 Watt Power Supply
3x Cougar Green LED Hydraulic Fan
Intel Core i7-5820
Seagate 2 TB Solid State Hybrid Hard Drive
Cougar Steel Gamer Case
ASUS GRYPHON Z87 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 uATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA 02G-P4-3753-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card

New monitor as well. Luckily, I got some of this stuff as a gift, but I still only have $100 available to spend if you guys think I should return something and upgrade for some reason. I probably had the LEAST idea what I was doing when dealing with the motherboard and graphics card. Thanks in advance, guys.

AAA

A Little Darkly
750 is not sli compatible, but you can through drivers unofficially. probably not worth the trouble though.
EDIT: also 1 powerful card is better than 2 weak cards together, the 750 is meant to be a budget low cost gpu

Last edited:

Dissident

A Little Darkly
That processor doesn't need to be so powerful you wont bottleneck it but the gpu could use a bit more beef. I'd take a bit of money out of that processor and reinvest in a bit better video card, you will get so much more performance for your money

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
That processor doesn't need to be so powerful you wont bottleneck it but the gpu could use a bit more beef. I'd take a bit of money out of that processor and reinvest in a bit better video card, you will get so much more performance for your money
You should read what he uses his PC for before misguiding him further.

AAA

A Little Darkly
Uh, the Intel Core i7-5820 is a socket 2011 chip. That shit won't work with the z87 socket 1150 board you got. :o
Didnt even notice that.

Havent really stayed up to date with intel so take this with a grain of salt. if you want to keep the mother board, it should support these two processors

I7 4970k - the original one you had in mind
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9117369&cm_re=i7_4790k-_-19-117-369-_-Product

or a less powerful, but still good none the less I5 4670k
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9116899&cm_re=i5_4670k-_-19-116-899-_-Product

Also some z87 boards (some can through BIOS flash) wont be able to support the two cpus mentioned, youll need to step up to z97. but your current one is fine, unless im reading wrong again.

i wouldnt really suggest 2011 motherboard unless you plan to make your PC balls to the walls machine.

TF2 and other games is fine with the GPU, modeling i dont have experience with, so i cant help you there.

Last edited:

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Didnt even notice that.

Havent really stayed up to date with intel so take this with a grain of salt. if you want to keep the mother board, it should support these two processors

I7 4970k - the original one you had in mind
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9117369&cm_re=i7_4790k-_-19-117-369-_-Product

or a less powerful, but still good none the less I5 4670k
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9116899&cm_re=i5_4670k-_-19-116-899-_-Product

Also some z87 boards (some can through BIOS flash) wont be able to support the two cpus mentioned, youll need to step up to z97. but your current one is fine, unless im reading wrong again.

i wouldnt really suggest 2011 motherboard unless you plan to make your PC balls to the walls machine.

TF2 and other games is fine with the GPU, modeling i dont have experience with, so i cant help you there.
For fucks sake, you still don't get it. READ what he uses his PC for.

@14bux whatever you do, don't listen to AAA.. He's lost.

14bux

Senior TF2 Admin
So should I exhange the board for one with a 2011 socket or the Core for a different processor? I'm a little lost. XD

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
So should I exhange the board for one with a 2011 socket or the Core for a different processor? I'm a little lost. XD
For your usage, the 5820 is an awesome choice so I would switch to a socket 2011 board with ddr4 ram.

Don't settle for 3xxx/4xxx CPUs because they're no better than previous lines of CPUs: a useless upgrade.

AAA

A Little Darkly
For your usage, the 5820 is an awesome choice so I would switch to a socket 2011 board with ddr4 ram.

Don't settle for 3xxx/4xxx CPUs because they're no better than previous lines of CPUs: a useless upgrade.

The 5820 is a better choice than the 4790k, its rock solid and better than the average consumer grade stuff, i was just putting his budget into consideration assuming he cant go over. the 5820 needs a x99 board which will go for 200 atleast, making him spend the extra 100 he has for the board, changing the ram would also put 100 for 8gb of ddr4. He did not mention RAM in that list so i assumed the 100 left over is also for RAM. i know his uses arent strictly for gaming, but the i7 4970k can be seen as a alternative as it has similar features.
http://ark.intel.com/compare/82932,80807

but yes, the 5820 and an x99 board is a different level than what i said.

if his modeling program prefer single core performance, the 4790k can be a cost saving alternative.
then again sometimes benchmarks never translate to real world applications and relies totally on theoretical.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8426/...view-core-i7-5960x-i7-5930k-i7-5820k-tested/5

im just providing why i thought the 4790k is possible choice. and i more than likely do not have the same amount of experience you do in these kinds of things, but im learning

14bux

Senior TF2 Admin
Another necropost, but... Just got my PC up and running today, working somehow. Runs pretty smoothly too, though I had some router issues. Thought I'd leave an update.