Headsets?

ᴰᴳᴺ Church of KFC

DARKLY Regular
My god-damn PC went bezerk and now the front end of it won't work, meaning I have to turn it off without hitting shut down, because windows 8.1 is broken, and... I could go on, but point is I need a new USB headset at around $60~

Any suggestions?

Glocky

Drinking your tears
What did you do? My Windows 8.1 is not broken. Seems like a case of PEBKAC.

Newegg has filters (Price, USB, brand, style) then sort by rating for a start - or click here.
I don't own a USB headset, as it would defeat the purpose of a decent sound card / on-board sound.

ᴰᴳᴺ Church of KFC

DARKLY Regular
What did you do? My Windows 8.1 is not broken. Seems like a case of PEBKAC.

Newegg has filters (Price, USB, brand, style) then sort by rating for a start - or click here.
I don't own a USB headset, as it would defeat the purpose of a decent sound card / on-board sound.
Well basically, my "friend" was being a douche and wouldn't stop pressing the front power off button on my PC. I told him to stop multiple times, but he wouldn't because he thought it was so funny. So now the front jacks for Headphones and Mic won't work. I can't even turn it off now.

As for 8.1, it was updating, then it randomly turned off. Now it won't redownload the files, and I'm stuck with no desktop, having to manually shut down, etc.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
Check to see if all the pressing of the power button loosened the wiring for the front AV jacks... long shot, but maybe.

RE: W8.1 updates, are you getting a message like this?
win-update-failed.jpg.png

ᴰᴳᴺ Church of KFC

DARKLY Regular
Check to see if all the pressing of the power button loosened the wiring for the front AV jacks... long shot, but maybe.

RE: W8.1 updates, are you getting a message like this?
win-update-failed.jpg.png
Already checked that, sadly no result.

And no, I didn't get a message like that. In fact I can't even get to the update place now because it won't let me, I can't access anything with windows except task manager and my desktop, which isn't even there, it's just a black screen.

I know the problem for the black screen I believe, start up task manager, scroll through processes until you find Windows Processes, find the process titled Windows Explorer and run it or restart it. If you can use "Run" type explorer.exe into it and press ok. This should solve the blackscreen problem. What are the specs, brand/model, and age of your computer?

EDIT:As for your audio hardware not working it could be that your computer is no longer recognizing the hardware. Your gonna have to figure out how to reinstall the ahrdware or make your computer recognize it again.

Last edited:

Glocky

Drinking your tears
I got nothing else. Maybe @OG buckshot jr @$alvador or others can help.
Without your product code and a working recovery method I'm at a loss (that and I've never had to do any recoveries - nobody gets to touch my PC but me!)

AAA

A Little Darkly
Recovery disk is USB, and I lost the product code, so no go there. Safe mode? I'm not sure what you're asking, is it IN safe mode, or does it work with safe mode?

To find product code (im assuming you can atleast run and install programs) just google a product key finder like magical jelly bean, and it will find it for you. Then you can use that to reinstall.

if your windows os is corrupt, the drivers could be messed up in the process which leads to your broken jacks. ive rarely seen a jack die on a computer unless you fry it or straight out abuse it.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
To find product code (im assuming you can atleast run and install programs) just google a product key finder like magical jelly bean, and it will find it for you. Then you can use that to reinstall.

if your windows os is corrupt, the drivers could be messed up in the process which leads to your broken jacks. ive rarely seen a jack die on a computer unless you fry it or straight out abuse it.
I was thinking the same, but they were described as two separate events, including the power button mashing, but at this point, whatever works.

ᴰᴳᴺ Church of KFC

DARKLY Regular
I know the problem for the black screen I believe, start up task manager, scroll through processes until you find Windows Processes, find the process titled Windows Explorer and run it or restart it. If you can use "Run" type explorer.exe into it and press ok. This should solve the blackscreen problem. What are the specs, brand/model, and age of your computer?

EDIT:As for your audio hardware not working it could be that your computer is no longer recognizing the hardware. Your gonna have to figure out how to reinstall the ahrdware or make your computer recognize it again.
I'll try that a bit later, and keep you updated. I'm busy today. Thanks for the advice though, dark.

I tried that a couple days before, the product code didn't work, which is why I'm assuming it either 1.) Wasn't the right one, or 2.) was an incorrect code/a fake code.

At this point I'm thinking the OS is corrupt, I'm considering just purchasing a brand new Windows 7 install disk. Windows 8.1 has been disapointing for me so far.

AAA

A Little Darkly
If you got a windows 8 key you cant install with windows 8.1 ISO and vice versa. but in the end if you cant find your product key, try giving microsoft a call if your key is legit. they might be able to get you up and going.

Since windows 10 is coming out and supposedly free for both win 7 and 8 users (rumour but ive heard even pirated users can get legit copies), maybe you can hold out abit longer and see how that works.

Dissident

A Little Darkly
If you got a windows 8 key you cant install with windows 8.1 ISO and vice versa. but in the end if you cant find your product key, try giving microsoft a call if your key is legit. they might be able to get you up and going.

Since windows 10 is coming out and supposedly free for both win 7 and 8 users (rumour but I've heard even pirated users can get legit copies), maybe you can hold out a bit longer and see how that works.

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for everyone using windows 7, 8, 8.1 for the first year of the Windows 10 release. Since it's coming out in a couple months it really isn't worth buying Windows 8.1 if 7 is say 20 bucks cheaper. Each edition will update to its Win 10 equivalent. i.e. Pro/Home Editions.

Pirates will be able to get the update too. But it doesn't really matter since windows activation is a joke. KMSpico takes care of everything DRM related for microsoft and gives complete access to windows update. Haven't bought an operating system since Win98 and never had a problem.

ᴰᴳᴺ Church of KFC

DARKLY Regular

Since windows 10 is coming out and supposedly free for both win 7 and 8 users (rumour but ive heard even pirated users can get legit copies), maybe you can hold out abit longer and see how that works.
I could wait for windows 10, but I'd rather get a fresh windows 7 and then upgrade, maybe. I'll see other reviews.

Dark, I tried what you said, and it didn't do anything, sadly.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Let me read this thread later and help out, but for failed updates - especially if you shut down mid-update - can you try windows restore? Boot and jam f8: you'll get to Windows repair, from where you can pick an earlier date to restore from. Note your files will not change, only windows files, so don't worry about losing the latest beiber posters you've downloaded.

I'll work on the rest later.

My guess is the front panel doesn't work because of fucked up inf files from an improper shutdown during an update, which is causing windows to think it's got new hardware and thus needs a reactivation.

That said, if your power button works to turn ON the computer, it's not a hardware problem. If it doesn't, then it is a hardware problem and we'll dive deeper.

I'm going to ask you questions later that will help me get some answers.

Last edited:

ᴰᴳᴺ Church of KFC

DARKLY Regular
Let me read this thread later and help out, but for failed updates - especially if you shut down mid-update - can you try windows restore? Boot and jam f8: you'll get to Windows repair, from where you can pick an earlier date to restore from. Note your files will not change, only windows files, so don't worry about losing the latest beiber posters you've downloaded.

I'll work on the rest later.

My guess is the front panel doesn't work because of fucked up inf files from an improper shutdown during an update, which is causing windows to think it's got new hardware and thus needs a reactivation.

I'm going to ask you questions later that will help me get some answers.
Okay, thanks BJ. Also some info: Windows repair won't work, because it won't let me run the process for some reason.