• Guest, if you wish to appeal your ban, please read these threads first:

READ ME DARKLY Ban Appeal Template + READ ME DARKLY Server Rules

Guest, Ban Appeal threads are for the player appealing and the banning Admin to respond to. All other posts will be removed at the Moderator's discretion.

AIDS Ban Appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlduinTheKingDovah

I'm New Here
Hi, Sir Alduin here. I was a former member about 3 years ago.

I was banned for: Impersonationg
Steam ID STEAM_0:0:58213981
My name at the time was Alduin The King Dovah.
Server: Toronto Darkly TF2 Trade

My reason to be unbanned is that really this happened such a long time ago. I don't know if you are still allowed to make these forums for ban appeals. I tried making a ban appeal on the http://www.darklygaming.com/bans/index.php but for me it said I was banned 1/7/17 which is a lie so I don't know the deal with that. What happened was after getting 1000 kills you could get resizeme commands and you can resize other people. People really wanted to be resized and I enjoyed the attention and can be seen as impersonation. Again this was a really long time ago and i'd like to join back. Sorry that I don't really know how or what to do in this situation. I was permanently banned for this situation.

AlduinTheKingDovah

I'm New Here
Friend stated he would revisit the issue in 6 months, I waited 3 years... Yes he is 100% what I did was totally wrong and immature of me and I wouldn't even be making another ban appeal if it wasn't for the fact that it's been 3 years and I can assure this will never happen again.

Rei

Senior TF2 Admin
Hi Sir Alduin,

I believe your ban was for abusing a perms glitch that was discovered and fixed back in 2014. Clarify for me, you were impersonating administrators to abuse the resize command to give players perks on the server for items, correct?

Also, Fiend is inactive. Because of the seriousness of your ban you'll have to wait for him or @Tick Tock Man or Gatherix to handle your appeal as they have been managing all of the back-end stuff on the servers for quite a while now and are our current head administrators.

AlduinTheKingDovah

I'm New Here
Essentially yes. The impersonation was the main meat here in this situation. I still don't see the harm in letting others resize themselves because at that time once you got 1000 kills you can do that anyway and people were willing to give refined metal for it. I did give 'some' back, but not all and this did soil the darkly name. I had friends get unbanned for the same reason - the impersonation, which is the big deal in this case.

AlduinTheKingDovah

I'm New Here
I don't have any excuses for the action that I did, but it has been a very long time since this incident and something I can assure won't happen again. I'd really like to become a member again of the server.

Tick Tock Man

Senior TF2 Admin
Staff member
Essentially yes. The impersonation was the main meat here in this situation. I still don't see the harm in letting others resize themselves because at that time once you got 1000 kills you can do that anyway and people were willing to give refined metal for it. I did give 'some' back, but not all and this did soil the darkly name. I had friends get unbanned for the same reason - the impersonation, which is the big deal in this case.

Not everyone banned for those perm abuses were claiming to be an admin though - nor did anyone but you that I know of actually CHARGE players for using a command you were abusing. Most of those banned were banned for about 2 weeks, unless there were egregious circumstances. Abusing the commands was poor judgement, but lying about admin and selling a service based on abusing a glitch - that is something far more concerning.

What has changed that should persuade us to overlook that?

In the appeal you made and in which Fiend suggested he would reconsider an appeal made only after 6 months had elapsed - also required you to provide proof of having repaid everyone - where is said proof?

AlduinTheKingDovah

I'm New Here
and I never said I did repay everyone, I said I repaid some.... even with that, this wasn't the main issue. The main issue was the impersonation. If people were willing to pay for it there was no harm it that other than me making 2 ref in the name of DGN.

AlduinTheKingDovah

I'm New Here
And you want me to provide proof 3 years later? You are still going to hold a grudge 3 years later? That is absolutely ridiculous. Sure what I did was a horrendous act and should never be done again, but the fact that you are still trying to turn this around for me is pretty obnoxious. It has been 3 years.

AlduinTheKingDovah

I'm New Here
I know the principle of me selling for service is bad, but it wasn't like I made good profit from it and I did end up having to give some of it back. There wasn't anybody really being harmed in this case other than DGN's name being used for this which again, the principle of me selling it was bad but I don't really think that's the reason I would be banned for this long. The impersonation was the thing that I would be concerned about and the reason I have my doubts. I don't really have any proof or reason to defend what I did, but this again was 3 years ago and reconsideration was said to be thought about after 6 months.

AlduinTheKingDovah

I'm New Here
I am at least asking for some bit of a mercy in this situation. It's been so long since I've played this server and so long since this ridiculous decision of me happened...

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
So if I understand this correctly, you openly abused the perms issue and tried to profit from it. You were then understandably banned and told that your case would be revisited after 6 months AND proof that you had repaid all your victims. To your credit, you certainly waited the 6 months, but you can't just decide not to pay back the rest because you think enough time has passed.

A few more things to point out:
You don't get to decide what the main issue is. You used perms in ways you weren't supposed to and you were trying to sell them. It's not like you're 75% guilty of one and 25% guilty of the other.
The amount or quality of your profit is entirely irrelevant. You shouldn't have been doing anything with the perms in the first place.

Personally, I think you're trying to downplay how much you fucked up. I think the fact that you tried to represent DGN while doing this is messed up and if it was up to me, I'd say No to you being unbanned. However, I'm pretty much retired and I think Tick/Gatherix/the other staff are better suited to make a call on this.

But for God's sake, stop multi-posting. There's no reason to break up your posts across 7 messages.

AlduinTheKingDovah

I'm New Here
If you are asking me to repay the people, there is no way in hell I can do that after 3 years. My trade history is way too big for me to go through every single slide and search for these few people that traded me, and that's if i'm able to recognize the people. Not trying to downplay how much I fucked up, I am just saying I don't see how making hardly any profit is worse than impersonating an admin. It's not like I don't want to, it just simply can't be done. Seems rather petty to me over 16 cents. In a real world situation, you wouldn't get arrested for stealing gum. Sure you may be fined, but not arrested, and certainly not a life time. I certainly wasn't suppose to sell them, but as I did people were satisfied with them. There was no scam involved, just a soiled darkly name.... Over 16 cents.... I know I don't get to decide on the main issue, but I get to focus on my defense in these main issues and right now the main issue I am focusing on is the admin impersonation. Never said what I did with the exploit in the system making profit off of it was bad, but I just am not focusing too much on it because I don't have any proof of this since it was 3 years ago, and also it was only about 2 ref that I gained without giving back. And plus it's not up to you on giving back the ref. I didn't scam anybody, it's up to them. I don't know what makes you think that I "owe" anything back. It's not up to you, since they were 100% satisfied with being temporarily resized in an act to have a little bit of fun. I should owe them back because what I did was wrong, but they knowingly wanted resized and were willing to pay for it. The amount of profit I actually pretty relevant because you are holding a grudge based on how I made any profit at all. Refer to the real world situation I just made, yes it was a bad thing, but not worth the permanent ban. And even if, I waited 3 years for this moment and don't think for a second I was ashamed for this situation starting in the first place. This is a really long grudge that is being held at point here...

Sorry for multi-posting.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
If you are asking me to repay the people, there is no way in hell I can do that after 3 years. My trade history is way too big for me to go through every single slide and search for these few people that traded me, and that's if i'm able to recognize the people.
If your trade history is so large, clearly you would have been able to trade and payback the people back then. You just decided not to. You failed to meet a condition of the ban. It's not unreasonable for us to hold that against you here.

Not trying to downplay how much I fucked up, I am just saying I don't see how making hardly any profit is worse than impersonating an admin.
You passed yourself off as an admin so people would trust you and pay you the ref. You knowiingly lied to a large number of people so you could make some extra metal. No one is saying one is worse than the other. You made extra profit because you lied about being a staff member.

It's not like I don't want to, it just simply can't be done. Seems rather petty to me over 16 cents.
You could have when the terms were set by Fiend 3 years ago. It was very possible back then. You just decided not to.

In a real world situation, you wouldn't get arrested for stealing gum. Sure you may be fined, but not arrested, and certainly not a life time.
A more accurate comparison would be if you pretended to be the store employee while selling the stolen gum. You would definitely be arrested for that.

I certainly wasn't suppose to sell them, but as I did people were satisfied with them.
Do not pretend for a second that you did this for the benefit of the people.

There was no scam involved, just a soiled darkly name.... Over 16 cents....
You lied to people and betrayed the trust of the community so you could make some extra metal. Your actions were fueled by your own greed and you used our name to hide it.

I know I don't get to decide on the main issue, but I get to focus on my defense in these main issues and right now the main issue I am focusing on is the admin impersonation. Never said what I did with the exploit in the system making profit off of it was bad, but I just am not focusing too much on it because I don't have any proof of this since it was 3 years ago, and also it was only about 2 ref that I gained without giving back.
The two go hand in hand. You impersonated an admin so people would believe you were allowed to sell perks, thereby allowing you to make a profit. There's no separation.

And plus it's not up to you on giving back the ref. I didn't scam anybody, it's up to them. I don't know what makes you think that I "owe" anything back.
Fiend set the condition for you being unbanned. You were to pay back the people and after 6 months, he would revisit your case. You didn't hold up your end of the deal.

It's not up to you, since they were 100% satisfied with being temporarily resized in an act to have a little bit of fun. I should owe them back because what I did was wrong, but they knowingly wanted resized and were willing to pay for it.
And they paid you because you lied about being a staff member. You're acting like you were being honest with them when in reality, you were lying through your teeth to make a quick profit. You abused the exploit and their trust. Their satisfaction is irrelevant.

The amount of profit I actually pretty relevant because you are holding a grudge based on how I made any profit at all.
You aren't banned because you made a profit. If that's really what you think, you still don't understand how much you fucked up. You're banned because you impersonated an Admin to manipulate people's trust so they would pay you for perks you had no right to sell AND you lied about it when Fiend confronted you.

Refer to the real world situation I just made, yes it was a bad thing, but not worth the permanent ban.
Aside from the fact that I already corrected your real world situation, yes, it was very much worth the permanent ban if you actually think about what you did. For your convenience, I'll post it again. You're banned because you impersonated an Admin to manipulate people's trust so they would pay you for perks you had no right to sell AND you lied about it when Fiend confronted you.

And even if, I waited 3 years for this moment and don't think for a second I was ashamed for this situation starting in the first place. This is a really long grudge that is being held at point here...
You keep saying 3 years like you were forced to wait that long, but hat was your decision. The reality is, if you had handled the situation correctly, you could have paid the people back then just checked back in after 6 months and Fiend could have handled this. Instead, you just did nothing. That's on you.

Sorry for multi-posting.
I appreciate you condensing your posts into one. It keeps the clutter down.

I wouldn't be so hard on you if I felt like you understood what you did wrong, but your constant attempts to downplay the severity of what you did makes me think you don't. I personally don't think you should be unbanned, but I'm now retired, so it's not up to me. I just figured that with my last post as a staff member, I would break down your argument and correct the places you seem to be a little unclear.

Tick Tock Man

Senior TF2 Admin
Staff member
... but the fact that you are still trying to turn this around for me is pretty obnoxious. It has been 3 years.

So....

You abuse perms, profit from it, refuse to follow instructions on how to work towards resolving it, wait three years to appeal again and then complain that you have to provide the proof after three years you were asked for right after the incident - but this is US somehow turning this around on you?

So help me out here, how exactly is it our fault that you didn't appeal again when you were told you could, or that you not only didn't pay all the items back but that you didn't think it important enough to even try to keep some sort of record?

So we are holding a grudge against you? We asked you to make it right and wait 6 months to appeal again - you did neither. Then you come back here complaining about us because you demonstrated a lack of character and judgement.

Denied. Straight up.

Would say come back in a few months but given your history don't see that improving your odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.