Custom Body, Glove, Knife and Gun Skins

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Killing Joke

A Little Darkly
Hey all,

Other than my 'new here' post, I really wanted to post a Q I had regarding custom skins (i.e. the ones on FPSBanana) as I know that a LOT of Servers do not allow them due to the ability to skin opposing forces with skins that really stand out on all maps and might be considered cheats. I've mentioned it to a couple of Admins (Delta last night, and I believe Shotgun Jesus a week ago) as I tried out some custom skins myself (nothing I'd say was questionable - just a black reskin for T and green for CT) as well as custom gloves, knives and guns.

Well, the odd thing I found was that the body skins work fine on the TD Servers, but the guns, gloves and knives do not. I would have thought that, if anything, the body skins would (should?) be disabled on the Server and the other items may be permissible. I wanted to come here to ask what the 'official word' is on things, as I certainly don't want to get banned from the server for doing something stupid.

Are custom skins allowed on the Server? Would there be a possibility to 'turn on' the custom skin permissions for the gloves, knives and guns? I don't see how there would be a competitive advantage to allowing them, personally, but maybe there's a reason I don't know, or am not aware of.

Thanks!

TKJ

Brades

Bailer
Staff member
I will fix this in the next few days. I'm swamped with some other stuff at the moment.

$alvador

TD Member
i was really bummed when TD servers stopped allowing gun/glove skins. i know it's just aesthetics but the game is old as methuselah and hi-poly models really make it a lot better to play, especially because the talent of the people making the models and skins is just insane. there's a gun model out there for everyone

excalibur

DARKLY Regular
i have never messed with the models, for the most part i look at it as trying to gain a visual advantage on other players. only time i use skins is when a server has their own custom skins

The Killing Joke

A Little Darkly
i have never messed with the models, for the most part i look at it as trying to gain a visual advantage on other players. only time i use skins is when a server has their own custom skins

While I agree that this could be the case, I like my game to look as good as it possibly can. I only use models that look amazing, and personally, I could forgo the body skins if I had the guns, knives and gloves.

The Killing Joke

A Little Darkly
i'm totally down for this if i could dress my guy up in a full body suit.

This is the the set I'm presently using. Of course, I only see the T and CT skins at the moment. Can't wait for the gloves, knives and guns.

[video=youtube;fZJ6bXKlyq4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZJ6bXKlyq4[/video]

$alvador

TD Member
it really shouldn't affect anything. Even if someone chooses to use neon skins, consistency can still be forced to ban models that are bigger than the dimensions of the originals. Also, neon skins darken in shadow just as much as other skins so it literally doesn't make anyone mystically more visible. The only way neon weapon skins could give you any advantage is if you're so blind to begin with that you have a hard time spotting players. Nobody else in their right mind would use them because it's really annoying to try and aim with the big bright dildo dominating your FOV

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
neon players skins and silenced weapon sounds to be non silenced. also, u want u use your camo to your advantage, its part of the game. liek the green and arctic guy, imagine someone sees them diff colors and ur trying to hide in bush/white wall.

if we really want to unlock anything, thats guns/hands/knife, but no custom sounds due to sound exploits.

The Killing Joke

A Little Darkly
if we really want to unlock anything, thats guns/hands/knife, but no custom sounds due to sound exploits.

I'm in full agreement on this one. I believe there were, at one time, also custom sounds that would increase the sounds for people walking. Those should be completely turned off.

TKJ

$alvador

TD Member
Custom sounds mostly suck anyway, and most quality remodel/reskin jobs have a folder for stock animations so those do work perfectly with the original sounds.

Funky skins and loud noises are interesting ways to cheat but they diminish the fun of the game and don't truly provide enough of an advantage to get all worked up over. I was really disappointed when the servers started blocking custom skins because they do add a lot of good to the game, and as someone who has played it for a lonnnnngass time and hates cheating I'd rather deal with some amateur "cheating" via neon skins and loud noises than have to deal with an eternity of stock skins, especially since there are still legit cheaters (wallhackers, aimbotters) who ocassionally get in and ruin the fun for a while. Some regulars on the server play well enough to be more of a worry than noob hackers anyway :wink:

The Killing Joke

A Little Darkly
I will fix this in the next few days. I'm swamped with some other stuff at the moment.

Hey Brades. Anything new on this? Just checking in. (I've been out of game the last few nights, as I've been working on renovating my bedroom...) Thanks!

TKJ

$alvador

TD Member
Eh, I brought this up when the server first started denying skins but alas here we are again. It's a hell of a shame too because even though the game's landscape sucks shit it was pretty fucking boss to have gun models that were true-to-life instead of the tired CS horseshit about putting the cartridge eject on the wrong side because of left-handed assholes or whatever the fuck it was.

The Killing Joke

A Little Darkly
Eh, I brought this up when the server first started denying skins but alas here we are again. It's a hell of a shame too because even though the game's landscape sucks shit it was pretty fucking boss to have gun models that were true-to-life instead of the tired CS horseshit about putting the cartridge eject on the wrong side because of left-handed assholes or whatever the fuck it was.

Don't worry, Brades is "the man". I'm sure he's got it on a long list of stuff to do regarding the server. While it may not be at the top, I'm sure you'll see it someday.

TKJ

​(I so rock at kissing ass.)

Status
Not open for further replies.