• Please remember to wrap not safe for work text/images in [NSFW][/NSFW] tags.
    Example: [NSFW][img]http://darklygaming.com/images/spinnysgapedass.jpg[/img][/NSFW]

Facebook Privacy Updates Serious Issue

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
So I'll post more details this weekend or Friday, with references but I'm at work now.

Last night got a notification from Facebook that it's updating it's privacy settings in order to "serve me better" (RE: steal more data).

Here's some Cole's notes:

1. There's nothing Facebook will not collect and store

2. Facebook now scans your device to collect, upload, store and share (with anyone they wish to) information on what apps you use and any other statistic your phone is willing to give up. I pray for non BlackBerry users.

3. Facebook actively scans, collects, stores and shares your cookie information (yes - it's literally scanning your pc, like malware would) so ads can target you "better" everywhere you go. Again, there are no limits with whom the information is shared, and how much of it, why, where etc.

4. Facebook states that any and all communications may be collected - from emails, texts, IP information, network traffic in/out. Again, I pray for non BlackBerry users.

5. Of course, with these new "features" (RE: hack malware key logger code), Facebook has introduced a slew of new options that are terribly confusing and inconvenient to change - and yes, they're ALL enabled by default, because you know, users would want this.

There's more, of course, but this is just what I found so far after having read the new terms for only 10 minutes. I'm sure if I read more I'd move to Russia and share a bed with Snowden. The mother fucker was right.

I've deleted the app from BlackBerry and ipad, changed all settings to "No", more private, etc. And will be deleting all of my information on Facebook and deleting my account when I get home. I don't even know why I have it.

Last edited:

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
How in the name of flying fuck is this legal?!
I read an article (can't remember where, probably cbc a long time ago) where Facebook or Google (again, can't remember, but I think Google) told the US government in so many words that, "You can't do shit because our servers are not on US soil.".

Funny, though, the US invaded other countries to catch guys from Pirate Bay and Mega upload, yet facebook/google roams free.

The Facebook privacy policy. Literally, that's all I read (not all of it, just spent 10minutes in it). I did not read any article, or forum on this. I got a notification from Facebook that terms changed, and I went to read them right from facebook.

Noob.

TD Member
Well dammit. Guess I'll be changing all my settings when I get home from work. In other news, I'm glad I still use a flip phone for the mobile aspect.

Hinouchi

TD Admin
I read an article (can't remember where, probably cbc a long time ago) where Facebook or Google (again, can't remember, but I think Google) told the US government in so many words that, "You can't do shit because our servers are not on US soil.".

Funny, though, the US invaded other countries to catch guys from Pirate Bay and Mega upload, yet facebook/google roams free.

The Facebook privacy policy. Literally, that's all I read (not all of it, just spent 10minutes in it). I did not read any article, or forum on this. I got a notification from Facebook that terms changed, and I went to read them right from facebook.
Yea i remember getting a notification about that couple days ago, totally ignored it. Will look that shit up again :D thanks for the heads up.

Brades

Bailer
Staff member

Most of Google/Facebook's data centres are in murica.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Most of Google/Facebook's data centres are in murica.
I haven't researched it enough to know. I do know Google uses mobile storage on ship embargoes to avoid any national sanction. Fuckin wow..

I can't find the strike-through text so I used bold. Bolded comment above suspended because I may have it confused with "off-shore data centers" instead of "at-sea data centers".

Strike it from the conversation until I figure it out.

Last edited:

Brades

Bailer
Staff member

But where did you pull this from... "I do know Google users mobile storage on ship embargoes to avoid any national sanction." ?

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
But where did you pull this from... "I do know Google users mobile storage on ship embargoes to avoid any national sanction." ?
Ya, I'll search for it when I'm at home. I read it in a news article that was exploring privacy concerns and a possible hunt against Google. It might have even been Schmidt who said it. I'll try my best to find it tonight if I'm not out at my girl's place.

Edit: edited my comment above because I may have it confused. Strike it for now.

Last edited:

MetalLobster

TD Admin
I'll give the policy a read later. The notification says the new policy will be in-effect in January.

If anything is free, you are the product.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I'll give the policy a read later. The notification says the new policy will be in-effect in January.

If anything is free, you are the product.
The policy options have already been updated, and the email I received says the policies have been updated.

To your second point, I would say even though you don't pay money, you pay much more with information and annoyance from advertising etc.

Hotshot.exe

DARKLY Regular
Welp, looks like I'm moving to North Korea. Well played Kim Jong-Un. Btw didn't know you could delete your fb account.

Hinouchi

TD Admin
Welp, looks like I'm moving to North Korea. Well played Kim Jong-Un. Btw didn't know you could delete your fb account.
You can't, you can only DEACTIVATE it~ Everything is still store on the cloud some where, pics, post, news, even if you delete it from your FB~

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
You can't, you can only DEACTIVATE it~ Everything is still store on the cloud some where, pics, post, news, even if you delete it from your FB~
There is now a delete option. It's been introduced since a few months ago/a year or so. Mind you, I'm sure you're correct in saying the data stays somewhere. I think you have to issue a formal request to have your data removed, there's a law and process for it, but I don't know if it's applicable in Canada/North America yet. I think UK has it.

Fork Included

TD Admin
you might be thinking of "the right to be forgotten" legislature that targets Google searches.

Where low-profile, private citizens may request that Google scrap/negate search results of their life past x-number of years.

So lets say I know that Brades made the papers 20 years ago for for indecent exposure, if he made an appeal to google then I wouldn't be able to find any trace of that event.

However this only affects the search results, whoever has that information hosted isn't obligated to comply. So if I knew which newspaper this was published in I could go to them and they'd still have that info.