Mann Co. Keys at 9 ref a pop

beebop

A Little Darkly
Price was just updated. I guess that'll be gg for the tf2 economy. I kinda saw this coming, and my guess is that they will stay at 9 ref for a while, then they will hopefully start to drop a little at a time. What do you guys think?

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
then they will hopefully start to drop a little at a time.
This has been the quote since the first Key rise when they hit 3 Ref.
"They'll go back down, it's just a phase..."

The fact remains that there is more and more Metal being pumped into the game via new players, idle accounts etc etc.
The main aspect of all of these price changes is the monetary worth of the item, the monetary value of Keys has been the same since day one, albeit there has been a few fluctuations either way occasionally. But the monetary value of Refined metal has been dropping since more and more players started joining the game.
For example: If Refined was being sold for say 10 cents? Why would a person then sell a Key worth $2.50 for say, 5 Refined, which is 50 cents? As the real world cash value of refined drops, the refined value of Keys rises.

It's all about supply and demand.
The supply of Refined is rising exponentially, the demand is lowering as more people leave the game.

beebop

A Little Darkly
For example: If Refined was being sold for say 10 cents? Why would a person then sell a Key worth $2.50 for say, 5 Refined, which is 50 cents?
Good example, never thought about it that way. And I suppose you're right, keys are destined to keep going up until something changes.

Thanatos

TD Member
The only thing that could change would be to remove metal from the game and force everyone to use the Market

Wrath

DARKLY Middleman
Valve never fixed the idle problem, that much is certain.

I know of one user who uses VM to idle about 80 accounts. There are probably far more accounts now and the mere fact of it is, anyone with the skill can do it, and when they do, it's far more damaging as there's literately nothing to stop them.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
They already did. 9.66ref-10ref is the price now. Idle farms are stuffing more and more metal into the market and they control what is left of the economy. That's why I stopped actively trading. I collect stuff and unbox. That's it.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
Nah, I collect things I use. Besides, I don't want to deal with lowballers.
"Your SF Rocket Launcher is gifted, I offer 15 keys, hurr durr."

I want them to make a SF Pistol and a SF Shotgun. SF Market Gardener :somuchwin:

Reactions: nb

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
I like that. :loveit:

I honestly hated last years festives, except the crossbow. I'll still probably collect them later on, just as part of my festive collection.

Reactions: nb