• Please remember to wrap not safe for work text/images in [NSFW][/NSFW] tags.
    Example: [NSFW][img]http://darklygaming.com/images/spinnysgapedass.jpg[/img][/NSFW]

Pride and stuff

Freak

DARKLY Regular
No, not gay pride.

Cool story: I'm a documentary filmmaker. I'm also an immigrant to Canada, and have just gotten my permanent residency. I've lived in a lot of different places in my short life and there's one thing I don't understand - patriotism. I'm attempting to spend the next few years understanding what it is as I obtain my citizenship. Hopefully I get some answers along the way.

So I want to ask you fine Darkly folk a question: why are you proud of your country?

Macido

DARKLY Regular
congrats on your perm res.
Wife just went through that in past years and just passed her citizenship test, said it was super easy.

She also has lived all over the world and brought a lot of cultural baggage with her.
I have realized we simply live free of a lot of stress that other countries deal with
-Health care expenses are an after thought
-communities are safe and we look after each other for the most part
-our cultural conversation style is not aggressive and competitive
(we are always apologizing for things we didn't do to simply avoid confrontation)
-we accept and not just "tolerate" virtually any religion, culture or sexual orientation as long as they are non violent
-we don't put a large focus on military pursuits, we don't carry guns

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
I'm not, particularly.

We are leading in anything significant, currently. We do have some cutting edge science at play, but still our education system is falling behind, we do have a strong economy, but that's mostly from foreign workers, we aren't leading in any particular area.

I don't fall under the MURICA trap that our country is the BEST country.