Skins

swan

DARKLY Regular
so I saw a guy on the server today who was on CT but using a skin of a T.
that's bullshit. just sayin.

jamesearljones

TD Member
well, there was a glitch a few months back that did to this to everyone during random times, but i thought they fixed that... :errf:

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
To my knowledge it's a glitch that happens from time to time, valve was supposed to have fixed this but I guess it still happens.

perplexd

Banned
I've actually had that happen once or twice on the TD servers with no skins involved. I think it's like budget said and on valve's side because I don't use any custom skins.

The Killing Joke

A Little Darkly
i've done nothing of the sort. i don't know why anyone would want that.

Firstly, it's not an accusation. I'm not saying you're cheating by doing this. (Although, people have used custom skins as exploits in the past.) I'll tell you why I like them: they make my experience better, because you can get customized body skins, weapons and sounds, which 'upgrades' the look and feel. It's just like using Windowblinds - which I do - to update your Windows software.

Check this out:

[video=youtube;fZJ6bXKlyq4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZJ6bXKlyq4[/video]

Those are the skins I'm using in-game. In my opinion, the CT's and T's look more realistic. Now, the guns and gloves setting hasn't been updated on the server yet, to allow me to use those as well, but as I hear from brades, it's something that may be coming.

Again, I certainly am not accusing you of cheating, so I hope you're not taking that the wrong way. I wasn't personally aware that there was a bug of this sort, but this does explain why I have seen a T skin on a CT in-game as well.

TKJ

DrUgZ

TD Admin
Well What needs to happen is we need to add the weapons skins to the white list when we run sv_pure.
but I am against the modification of player skins due to ones like this:
http://www.gamebanana.com/css/skins/8867
It can create an unfair advantage for players when they can see your neon body glowing form across the map.

The Killing Joke

A Little Darkly
Well What needs to happen is we need to add the weapons skins to the white list when we run sv_pure.
It can create an unfair advantage for players when they can see your neon body glowing form across the map.

I agree with your opinion on fairness. It's shitty that there's no 'catch' which would permit server admins to automagically get a screenshot of client's screens whenever they are using custom skins. While I love playing using the higher resolution skins, I fully understand if they are not permitted going forward. I can't wait for the weapon/glove skin updates.

TKJ

excalibur

DARKLY Regular

i 100% agree with you drugz. by allowing custom skins the server would be open to skins like that and even those that glow even more so. It may not be a VAC cheat but it sure does the same thing they scan for

swan

DARKLY Regular

...but it is pretty awesome that the T looks like Iron Man... hmmmm super hero skins... Marvel Vs. DC anyone?

The Killing Joke

A Little Darkly
Ok, so it looks like admin just disabled the body skins. All fine and well. Any chance of getting the gun/glove skins permitted as well? Since it's so easy?

TKJ

The Killing Joke

A Little Darkly
On the topic of this, are Admins changing this over as we speak? (i.e. 11:50 p.m Friday night?) I've got sounds from an add-on pack squeaking through from time to time, and then I get disconnected. Not sure if it's because they're being applied, and my client is trying to use them, or what's up.

TKJ

The Killing Joke

A Little Darkly
weapon skins are back?!? SICK! Thanks be to brades? :) Hold on, I have the most epic glove skin to link...

http://www.gamebanana.com/css/skins/52247

Not quite...

I can't SEE anything different. I can, however, hear my other sounds filtering through - they're not right, they're squeaky as shit - and then, I get kicked out of the program. Looking for confirmation - if anyone else has issues like this.

TKJ

Edit: I'm re-applying my skin pack, to see if maybe yesterday's change (the one that disallowed body skins - sadpanda) made a change. Will report back.

Edit 2: Well, the sounds are still kinda there, and the disconnect problem as well. There WAS a Steam Client update an hour or so ago. My next test is to reboot and try again. Had already tried restarting the client a few times. Herp derp.

Edit 3: Fuck, rebooting didn't fix it. If you're using a weapon - or speccing a player - and hear the new sounds, disconnect is not far away. Fuck fuck fuck.

Brades

Bailer
Staff member
I just added the following whitelist to the server:

Code:
whitelist
{
maps\... allow_from_disk
materials\... from_steam
models\... from_steam
scripts\... from_steam
sound\... allow_from_disk
materials\models\weapons\... allow_from_disk
materials\models\mapmodels\... allow_from_disk
materials\temp\... allow_from_disk
materials\VGUI\crosshairs\... allow_from_disk
materials\VGUI\logos\... allow_from_disk
materials\VGUI\logos\ui\... allow_from_disk
models\weapons\... allow_from_disk
scripts\game_sounds_manifest.txt allow_from_disk
scripts\HudLayout.res allow_from_disk
scripts\HudAnimations.txt allow_from_disk
scripts\mod_textures.txt allow_from_disk
}

This whitelist will allow everything from maps and sound folder, it will also allow all custom weapon skin, hand skin, hud and sprays. It will block custom models, materials and custom scripts that should be blocked due to a number of exploits.

The Killing Joke

A Little Darkly
This whitelist will allow everything from maps and sound folder, it will also allow all custom weapon skin, hand skin, hud and sprays. It will block custom models, materials and custom scripts that should be blocked due to a number of exploits.

Looks amazing on my gaming rig. If it's not working on my laptop, as above, I figure it's something to do with the laptop or install itself. It looks AWESOME! Thanks, Brades!

TKJ