Steam changes really cripple trading opportunities

Slawek

TD Admin
Steam has rolled out big changes yesterday which include the switch from USD to CDN funds, but probably even worse than that, you can no longer click on a person's avatar when viewing search results in the market. So you have no idea who the user is selling it.

I used to click the user, send a friend request, and attempt to trade up in value. I really hope they revert this change because it's a huge limitation.

Also I just noticed the max listing price is $400 cdn, which is more horseshit because that is significantly less than its USD equivalent. So any high end items you are getting screwed!

Last edited:

Thanatos

TD Member
So did they convert you properly when they switched you from USD to CAD or did they just screw you out of 10% of your funds?

Slawek

TD Admin
I have no idea I am lost in the conversion process. I really wish I didn't get screwed for that knife a few days ago because making that money back now is gonna take 10x longer

Noob.

TD Member
They say it's for the benefits of users, but really the changes are all about more money for steam.

Slawek

TD Admin
They say it's for the benefits of users, but really the changes are all about more money for steam.
That's exactly what it is, Noob.

The benefits to the users I can see, it's obvious... you don't get spammed, phished, etc, when ever you list an item in the market.

I guess it works for those users who just want to buy and sell and pump their own money into the system. Sorry but that doesn't work for me!

Noob.

TD Member
The benefits to the users I can see, it's obvious... you don't get spammed, phished, etc, when ever you list an item in the market.

They should have a preference setting where you can choose whether or not to allow messages/friends requests from the market. That way traders like you still have a chance to do what you do and people who just want to quietly buy and sell their stuff can do that as well.

Slawek

TD Admin
They should have a preference setting where you can choose whether or not to allow messages/friends requests from the market. That way traders like you still have a chance to do what you do and people who just want to quietly buy and sell their stuff can do that as well.
Silly Noob, that would make too much sense!

Thanatos

TD Member
I wouldn't ever expect it to come back, without being able to know and contact the seller it keeps the money in the market and Steam keeping their percentage of the cut.

HappySticks™

TD Admin
Stupidest update for said reasons above and to add to the point about not knowing who is selling, I cannot visit their profile to find a screenshot of what the item may look like.

Slawek

TD Admin
Stupidest update for said reasons above and to add to the point about not knowing who is selling, I cannot visit their profile to find a screenshot of what the item may look like.
That's the biggest downfall right there. Can't see play side of knives!!

Every time I have a high value item for sale I always post a screenshot of both sides and stick it to my profile front page so the buyer/trader knows they are dealing with someone who knows what they are doing.

Slawek

TD Admin
Well... I *may* have spoken too soon here. Yes, it has crippled the trade up approach, however it is basically forcing people to buy skins. The last couple of days I sniped some cheap bayonets and sold them for pretty high. People can't contact you and barter you down anymore, if they want a skin they have to buy it.

I think I will give these changes one thumb up and one thumb down at the moment....