Tips for a noob?

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
So I've been trying to branch out into new games lately, like CS:GO. The problem is, I'm terrible at it. Granted, I've only got 15 hours on the game, but for me, that's not an excuse. I personally find that 0 kills in an entire map is terrible.

I have decent aim, but I usually die before I can line up a shot. When I played before (like over a year ago), I accidentally shot a teammate. The TK rule was explained to me, so I make it a priority not to do that again. Playing gets frustrating, but I know it takes practice and time. At the same time, I also feel bad because there are undoubtedly a bunch of players waiting to get on the Chicago server, but Darkly is really the only place I know anyone.

Do I just keep trying and adjusting? I've already learned to be quiet (SHIFT has become my new best friend). I've also learned to check corners and keep track of flashbangs (still haven't figured out the avoiding part).

I want to be better at the game, but I don't want to ruin anyone else's fun by how horrible I am at it. Ideas please?

td|35mm

TD Admin
Most of the players are playing this game for years... and some are still bad at it lol
The only advice is ... practice... and practice... and some more of the same...

Also, spec the good players and see their tactics.
You can learn a lot from it.

You can also create your own server off-line and train with BOTs...

Oh yeah... and practice lol.

Sushicutter

TD Admin
I recommend you watch some of adrens tutorial videos, like controlling recoil, how to peek corners, etc. its helped me out alot

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCauWzM4ElgQCuwymc3sV42g

This is another good video on an older version of the map freak posted

this is how i warm up while waiting to join the darkly server... but instead of having the dot size at 12 i bring it down to 8. its pretty hard but once you get your muscle memory dialed in you're all set to pwn nubz

Last edited:

nb

DARKLY Regular
Play comps, really. I learnt everything I know from there. Oh, and start out with Dust II, easiest map there is for CSGO.

amanshotme

TD Member
I would definitely recommend watching adren_tv's vids as well as the warowl, really good videos to help with basic stuff. But yeah 35 has it right...just play. The more you play, the more mistakes you'll make which you can correct and thus improve your skill level. So yeah..don't be discouraged just play on!

liqvid

DARKLY Regular
I have decent aim, but I usually die before I can line up a shot.
I've also learned to check corners and keep track of flashbangs (still haven't figured out the avoiding part).

Greetings. Here is my 2 cents.
Regarding "usually die before I can line up a shot". The first thing you should know is that everyone has this problem. Even pros. The reason this happens often isn't because the other player is better at moving their crosshair onto you and clicking, but instead, they had to move their crosshair less or not at all in order to be on you. So, basically, you need to move your mouse and click while all they need to do is click.
Why do they not have to move their mouse? How is their crosshair already on you? The term is called "Crosshair Placement" and involves religiously keeping your crosshair at head height above the ground and keeping it in locations where a enemy is likely to pop out from. That second part requires some map/situational awareness in order to actually know where they are more likely to come from. That will come with practice on a map and in the game in general.
Again, the whole point of this is to reduce or eliminate the first step in shooting an enemy in order to make your reaction time faster.
Some of the Adren videos others have linked above are about this topic and show examples so I also recommend those.

Second, about avoiding flashbangs. All you need to know is that a flashbang will blind you if you are looking in it's direction. There is some minimum angle that you need to be looking away from the flashbang in order to not get totally blinded but I am not sure what it is. Might be 60 Degrees or something. You'll still get blinded, but not as much (can still partially see). If you look away further then that the effect will be even shorter, giving you the ability to engage the target accurately when they push after the flash.
Short answer: If you see a flash coming, look away from it asap. After it blows up, turn back to face the direction it came from since there may be an enemy charging forward who is under the assumption that you're blind. Show 'em who's boss.

Longer answer.... Ehh, I'm late for work. Will append later.
Topics to cover:
1. Juking flashes
2. Pop flashes

Have fun.

APPENDING TIME!
1. Juking Flashes
I have actually tried to find a reference source for this term, but could not locate one strangely enough. I have heard casters using it to refer to purposefully facing the wrong way in anticipation of a flash coming in, in order to be totally not blind and able to instantly react after the flash goes off, surprising the opponent. Not something you'd want to do as a terrorist (except maybe on hostage maps) but as a CT defending a bomb site this is sometimes useful. In a pub like TD though I wouldn't recommend doing it since people are more likely to just run in without throwing a flash then they would be in MatchMaking (MM).

2. Pop Flashes
This is when you throw a flash in a particular way in order to cause the flash to blow so quickly that the target has no time to turn away. Basically, think of this as playing Hot Potato with someone when you know exactly how much time is left on it. Sure, you could just toss the potato at them and hope they hold on to it for long enough OR you could hold onto it until it is about to blow and then toss it over. Also, if you played Day of Defeat the grenades work in a similar way. People in that game start the fuse and then hold onto the grenade for a bit before throwing it. In order to give the enemy no time to react when they see it before it blows up.
How do you do this in CS? Well, the fuse for the flashbang (and HE grenade) starts after you let go of it, so you can't just hold the button down. Instead, you need to throw the flash cleverly. Off a wall or off the ground or off a thing far away... basically bouncing it around so that it eventually goes where you wanted it to go, and it gets there just before it blows up. Learning these flashes isn't crucial for someone who is new to the game, but if you want to be using flashes offensively then this is a great way to increase their effectiveness. Just be sure to run around the corner right after the flash goes off in order to make best use of the time the enemy is vulnerable.

Thats all for now. I Hope this was helpful.

Last edited:

shoottomaim

BANNED
So I've been trying to branch out into new games lately, like CS:GO. The problem is, I'm terrible at it. Granted, I've only got 15 hours on the game, but for me, that's not an excuse. I personally find that 0 kills in an entire map is terrible.

I have decent aim, but I usually die before I can line up a shot. When I played before (like over a year ago), I accidentally shot a teammate. The TK rule was explained to me, so I make it a priority not to do that again. Playing gets frustrating, but I know it takes practice and time. At the same time, I also feel bad because there are undoubtedly a bunch of players waiting to get on the Chicago server, but Darkly is really the only place I know anyone.

Do I just keep trying and adjusting? I've already learned to be quiet (SHIFT has become my new best friend). I've also learned to check corners and keep track of flashbangs (still haven't figured out the avoiding part).

I want to be better at the game, but I don't want to ruin anyone else's fun by how horrible I am at it. Ideas please?
"I have decent aim, but I usually die before I can line up a shot."
If you're a Terrorist and you're pushing, practice crosshair alignment. Stick to corners when turning (but not too close to the corner or your reflexes will be too slow) and aim for the head/chest. I suggest the chest since you need to get out of your TF2 phase where you can just hold M1 and play pyro. Always practice crosshair alignment. Never have your crosshair on the ground; put it in the air where heads will be.

I find that playing the DARKLY pub really helps me aim and learn. The first thing I did when I started playing CS was to hop onto the DARKLY pub and start playing. I didn't even know how to play; didn't know the objectives or anything. I spent part of my time playing the game, and spectating people (BIOP was my favorite because he was hilarious). Don't immediately start watching the good people like KtS_ or HotShot; start off with the middle-level people (I almost typed examples but I didn't want to be a douchebag). See where they place their crosshairs, what they do, when to rotate from a bombsite, and their general game sense. Speaking of, let's move on.

In CS:GO, game sense is extremely important. You need to know what's going on across the map, even though you can't be there. Practice this by occasionally checking the radar while holding TAB to view the entire minimap, and look for trends where enemies consistently appear; this will probably hint to you whether or not they will push that area. If you're a Counter-Terrorist, make it a priority to get to the bombsite and take up a position to prepare for the push. This is especially important on the "B" bomnsite of de_dust2, where a pain train can easily wipe you out. Run with your knife out at the beginning of the round.

I have no idea how much of a noob you are, so I'm writing this as tips for my past self. Maybe you can relate or learn from this. Good luck. If you need help, PM me on Steam or something.

Fork Included

TD Admin
15 hours?

15 hours used to be a weekend for me...

just keep playing, you'll get the hang of it. Most of it is muscle memory and situational awareness. So make sure to set your mouse settings right the first time (no acceleration, proper sensitivity, etc)

Half your aiming problems will go away once you realize where people generally come from.

15 hours, geez

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
So if I've read everything correctly, I shoot teammates (specifically S2M), spray and pray with p90 and run away if I see a flashbang in the air? :trollface:

Seriously though, I appreciate all the feedback and encouragement! I'll definitely be practicing when I can!
15 hours?

15 hours used to be a weekend for me...

15 hours, geez
:feelscry:

Reactions: Rei

Rei

Senior TF2 Admin
I shoot teammates and p90 run away if I bang in the air?
Show off your knife whenever you can and flip it in and out so you can see the animation 50,000 times over again. When you aren't busy looking at skins spend time advertising trading on CSGO DM servers so you can look at more skins and become a better player. :shiteatinggrin: Don't forget to join comp servers and shit-talk everyone pre-game so you can set the stakes high and your teammates will preform better. If you do all that you can gain a rank and become Silver 1, I don't know much else past that though. Good luck, have fun (as they say pregame to make you think ranks don't matter, THEY REALLY DO MATTER MAN THEY DO).