NEWS Toronto Servers Back Up [Update]

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
The reason this problem is so difficult to troubleshoot is because we can't reliably reproduce the problem. That means when we try something, we're relying on someone's opinion about the lag to see whether we made it better, and people's opinions aren't consistent with each other's nor their own. It's also probable that it's not just one problem and other smaller things are contributing to it, but someone saying "I got a lag" doesn't at all differentiate between two different problems. So we've been relying on just trying stuff, and getting only limited concrete data. So far, none of our solutions have solved the problem entirely, and the concrete network data we collected showed a clear pattern of packet loss during certain times of the day. So until we find a magical fix, we're just assuming the problem is the host.

Understand that given these difficulties, our troubleshooting is really hit or miss, so saying "I still get laaaaaag 2much4myskillz" really doesn't do much is solving the problem. Just deal with it for now and discuss how to proceed in the event we can't fix it (which seems likely at this point) rather than still saying it's not working.

Typing on phone keyboard ftw.

Slawek

TD Admin
Gotta love hearing regular players call out TD as cheap and shit in-game for having this lag issue. Wish I could slay those ungrateful bastards.

The free server that you play on doesn't meet your standards? Have a bit of courtesy and play elsewhere otherwise...

Last edited:

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
Gotta love hearing regular players call out TD as cheap and shit for having this lag issue. Wish I could slay those ungrateful bastards

So ungrateful indeed....

This is our server specs:

Motherboard: SuperMicro S9SCL/M
Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1240 v2 3.4GHz quad-core
Memory: Kingston 16GB 1333MHz 8 CAS
Ethernet: Intel 82579LM Gigabit
Storage: Intel SC2CW12 120GB SSD
Software: Debian 6.0 (Squeeze) Linux kernel 2.6.32

We are hosting at the best and most expensive Data Center in Toronto ( http://www.151frontstreet.com/ ). It is costing us 250/mo JUST on this dedicated server. This is not including our VPS for the website/fast download, gameme, backup VPS, mumble, chicago VPS, etc. (which are all paid for with ad revenue).

And the icing on the cake, you have people like Me, SJ, Gatherix, Brades, Propaganda, Skd Mrk, Leroy, Cock to name a few who have spent countless hours of our time over the years to keep the servers running to the best of their ability. Anyone who wants to shit talk TD/DARKLY, or the staff's efforts are more than welcome to fuck off and go play elsewhere. If we actually got paid for all the work we do, then it would be "somewhat" justifiable to shit on us if things are not going smoothly. But the thing is, we all do this for free, we all volunteer our free time to do this. So a little bit of respect is not too much to ask now is it?

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
I've been negotiating with several DC's within Ontario to serve two Dell PowerEdge R710's I purchased half a year ago. I require a 1/4 of a rack (2U each), power (3 Amps each), bandwidth (I won't settle for anything less than 100Mbps and 10TB) which isn't particular cheap so I've been reluctant thus far to seal a deal. They're provisioned separately with one being a Hyper-V (Windows 2008 R2) host and the other KVM (CentOS 7) host. I've been using them insufficiently for development but I can easily serve VMs for any game. When I do snag a DC if you'd like we could co-opt. It's probably too early to post this because I've got nothing but hardware but whatever.

PowerEdge R710 #1 (Hyper-V)

2 x Intel Xeon X5560 - 8 Cores/16 Threads
8 x Hynix (Dell) 4GB DDR3 PC3-10600 1333Mhz ECC (HMT151R7BFR4C-H9) - 32GB
2 x WD RE4 250GB (WD2503ABYX) - RAID 1
1 x Dell Perc 6/i RAID Controller
1 x Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter (EXPI9402P)
2 x 570W PSU

PowerEdge R710 #2 (KVM)

2 x Intel Xeon X5660 - 12 Cores/24 Threads
12 x Hynix (Dell) 4GB DDR3 PC3-10600 1333Mhz ECC (HMT151R7BFR4C-H9) - 48GB
4 x WD RE4 1TB (WD1003FBYX) - RAID 10
1 x Dell Perc 6/i RAID Controller
1 x Intel PRO/1000 VT Quad Port Server Adapter (EXPI9404VT)
2 x 870W PSU

Attachments

• _DSC2675_A_S.jpg
    _DSC2675_A_S.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
This is our server specs:

Motherboard: SuperMicro S9SCL/M
Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1240 v2 3.4GHz quad-core
Memory: Kingston 16GB 1333MHz 8 CAS
Ethernet: Intel 82579LM Gigabit
Storage: Intel SC2CW12 120GB SSD
Software: Debian 6.0 (Squeeze) Linux kernel 2.6.32
If it isn't entirely obvious to people that are lurking here without posting, this hardware set up should be overkill for a game like CS:GO.

BOT Snake

TD Admin
How many of you have actually played on a different server with 30 people?
I've played on a lot of different servers. ECG has the same problem that we have. VPP has a new IP and is a little bit better. ABM has the best performance on 128 tick with 30 players (they're based in Chicago?).
That's why you stop rushing in lost temple on CT side huh? :trollface:
Lel, I still do it all the time. Cheez always gets me tho. :-(

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
Actually, for the past few hours, TD CSGO has been the only server running on the box as a TF2 update broke the TF2 servers. Can someone please tell me if the aids is still here (so we can rule out TF2 as the cause once and for all for all those who think it may be related) ?

BOT Snake

TD Admin
They do? I've played there a few times over the past month or so, and I haven't seen anything like what we experience in TD.
They might have fixed it then. But I don't play there anymore because of the intermittent lag.
Actually, for the past few hours, TD CSGO has been the only server running on the box as a TF2 update broke the TF2 servers. Can someone please tell me if the aids is still here (so we can rule out TF2 as the cause once and for all for all those who think it may be related) ?
AIDS is alive and well. Edit: but seems to have decreased. Edit: It just happened again.

Last edited:

Slawek

TD Admin
How is it that someone gets 200 ping and experiences lag multiple tims and yet my ping is solid and I only experience the same lag once?

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
They might have fixed it then. But I don't play there anymore because of the intermittent lag.
I don't like to play there often because they enforce a pistol only rule after you've hit 20 kills and your KDR is 3. What a stupid fucking rule, but I digress.