Where should I buy the new GTX 1080 Founder's Edition from?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by nb, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 365 days old. Therefore, it is better than any of the shit that gets posted nowadays.
  1. nb

nb DARKLY Regular

Hey!

So with the release of the new GTX 1080 and 1070 (Founders Edition and not) I decided to spend my bday and Xmas money on the new graphics card.
    Although, I am having trouble deciding where to buy it from.. Yes I know no store has them now, I am ordering when its available.

Canada Computers - 919$ http://www.canadacomputers.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=gtx 1080&sid=2m3gjrqlun5knj6np0vvn17126&x=0&y=0
    NCIX - 884-909$ http://www.ncix.com/search/?qcatid=0&q=gtx 1080
    Tiger Direct - 717-785$ - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=gtx 1080

All are creditable stores, but why are the graphics cards so low in TigerDirect compared to Canada Computers and NCIX? It can't be because they're almost an online-only store now, and the difference between the 2 prices is paid with the shipping?
  2. up-n-atom

up-n-atom DARKLY Regular

That's not Tiger Direct Canada... It's also $909 @ Newegg.ca with $12 shipping (Better choice as they use their money to destroy stupid technology patents). I don't see the rationale in buying a 1K video card unless it's making you money. Do you CAD? Do you game in 4K or VR? It's a shame when a video card is teaching a life lesson instead of a hooker.
  3. 14bux

14bux Senior TF2 Admin

I'd recommend you wait for the regular 1080 to stabilize closer to MSRP after launch, Founder's edition only changes the cooling. Regular should stabilize closer to $600 by late August along with the 1070 going around $350.

I'm guessing TigerDirect is offering lower because it has more product, being a fairly larger company. Used them in the past, support is shit though. NCIX has the best support, imo. Go with whichever you feel more comfortable with.
  4. nb

nb DARKLY Regular

Ah gotcha, didn't know Tiger Direct also has US stores. I was going to use the gtx 1080 for 3 screens, 1 for gaming, 1 for google stuff, and the last one for watching twitch all at the same time, something my old 760 couldn't handle.

I hope it drops to 600$ cad. The conversion from 600 usd to 1000 cad is ridiculous.
  5. OG buckshot jr

OG buckshot jr TD Admin

I echo all above. Don't buy 1080 for regular games.. Also, don't buy it for the first 6 months to a year. Wait for the failures, recalls, and prices to stabilize. There will be revisions.

Also, I keep hearing that TigerDirect is a US retailer that sells in Canada. What this means is that you have no manufacturer's warranty. I've not researched this enough nor have I had to test this (thank god, no failures for me), but I don't recommend shopping there. They are a dying breed here in Canada.

All retailers will be the same within a few $ once shit stabilizes.
Thread Status:
This thread is more than 365 days old. Therefore, it is better than any of the shit that gets posted nowadays.