TF2 Terminology: Redefined

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
The main point of this thread is to make fun of the logic, or lack thereof, of the TF2 trade economy. 10% of the point is to vent. I myself am trying to figure out if this amuses me, or just bugs the hell out of me :feelscry:

Most of this comes from what I've observed while browsing TF2Outpost. I'm not saying it applies to everyone, but it does apply to about 85% of the TF2 community.

Quickbuying:
Supposed definition: I'm offering to give you quick metal for your items at a lower price!
Real definition: I'm too cheap and greedy to pay full price, so I'm going to pretend like I'm helping you out, even though I'm actually screwing you over by paying half of what it's worth.

Quickselling:
Supposed definition: I've got plenty of <insert overhyped item here> for <insert price here>. Get them now!
Real definition: I'm charging a ridiculous amount for an item that just came out and has no set price. Buy them before you realize that it's worth a quarter of what I'm charging for it!

The following definition applies to about half of the TF2 community, though I haven't come across any DARKLY members with this attitude, which is nice.
Has an Unusual:
Supposed definition: If I kill you, I am a god. If you kill me, you are a hacker. (Sadly, I have come across these people) :(
Real definition: I got lucky and I'm using every excuse I can think of to rub it in your face.

The following definition seems to apply to newer traders and seems to stick with them no matter how many times I clarify >.>
Scammer:
Supposed definition: Anyone that even mildly irritates another person by asking a price that is not exactly what the person wanted.
Real definition: One who knowlingly and fraudulently acquires an item from another.

Examples of some of the ignorance I have found:
S. Huo Long Heater Sellers looking for 1.33(correct price) up to a key:
http://www.tf2outpost.com/search/126980831
S. Huo Long Heater Buyers looking for a scrap (lol) up to 2 rec (lol):
http://www.tf2outpost.com/search/126986943

Just to reiterate, I'm not tagging anyone here as examples of this kind of thing. Before I came to DARKLY, I found several communities that even the senior staff members displayed this kind of behavior. DARKLY was a fresh of breath air after all that nonsense.

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
I'd argue the Quickbuying and Quickselling are entirely different for unusuals, but other than that seems 'bout right.

Khârn the Betrayer

DARKLY Regular
I more or less gave up on trading after realizing all the trades I get are just from people wanting to give me items for my items so I end up with more items to sell, and when I ask for only pure I don't get any trades at all because people. I've even come across people in the mindset that because I have more than 1 of something they should get what they want for a little bit less than it's worth. If people make an offer on something too and I say no, I don't see how saying "please" is going to make me want sell it to them, no means fucking no.

These days if I see someone buying something I have and they specify they're buying with metal i'll trade them, otherwise i'll trade them and they'll just throw in a bunch of items. If you ask what they're paying for it in chat too you're most likely to get "trade me" as a reply, so i'd rather not waste my time with this kinda shit lol

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
I more or less gave up on trading after realizing all the trades I get are just from people wanting to give me items for my items so I end up with more items to sell, and when I ask for only pure I don't get any trades at all because people. I've even come across people in the mindset that because I have more than 1 of something they should get what they want for a little bit less than it's worth. If people make an offer on something too and I say no, I don't see how saying "please" is going to make me want sell it to them, no means fucking no.

These days if I see someone buying something I have and they specify they're buying with metal i'll trade them, otherwise i'll trade them and they'll just throw in a bunch of items. If you ask what they're paying for it in chat too you're most likely to get "trade me" as a reply, so i'd rather not waste my time with this kinda shit lol

:allknowfeel: :feelscry:

nb

DARKLY Regular

Depends of what items you have and what items they are offering. If you don't get pure, try to get marketable items, but if that doesn't work, you can trade me. I am about to get about 10 keys from a spycrab. Well, actually, a 20$ card I won from a friend from doing a spycrab. I can pay in metal for full price, but again it kinda depends on what items you have.

There is nothing wrong with this mentality, it is an eventuality all will face. It is just a matter of time.
Then you have the never ending surge of young imbeciles joining the Steam Community. I have recently dealt with a fourteen year old who claims that TF2/DOTA2 is his source of income. Nothing makes me more sick than hearing that people can make a living off a video game. I recall hearing somewhere in China that there are cafes around that have users farming Gold, eight hours a day, seven days a week for another well known game by Blizzard. It is just sick that we pay money for nothing.

Then you have users that want to forcefully buy something for very low...and sell something for very high prices.

No one wants to buy your terrible shit and no one wants to trade you what you are asking for because usually, there is not a dubious profit to be made. It did not use to be this way, those that have played when trading first came out, usually made simple trades without hassling or heckling the prices. Now and days, it is just full of...idiots.

The sooner you can exit this game and this cash cow, the better.

Tech45

Senior TF2 Admin
I'm starting to turn to Classifieds instead of Outpost. Hell, that's where I found my Vintage Concheror for a good price.

DARKLY | Pixar's Ham

DARKLY Regular
So I've heard, never looked into it much though.

It's good, it searches Outpost, Backpack.tf classifieds, Dispenser.tf, Steam market, etc for items that are being sold for a lower price. It occasionally reads a trade wrong which is why you need to check the descriptions to see if it's true. For the most part it's a great place to find deals.

E1ite

DARKLY Regular
It's good, it searches Outpost, Backpack.tf classifieds, Dispenser.tf, Steam market, etc for items that are being sold for a lower price. It occasionally reads a trade wrong which is why you need to check the descriptions to see if it's true. For the most part it's a great place to find deals.

Thanks for the tip! I will check it out.