• Please remember to wrap not safe for work text/images in [NSFW][/NSFW] tags.
    Example: [NSFW][img]http://darklygaming.com/images/spinnysgapedass.jpg[/img][/NSFW]

Game Handles - Where'd yours come from?

Thanatos

TD Member
Did you ever wonder where someone got their game handle from? I get asked all the time if mine is from x game or y book though the answer is much simpler, I took it straight from Greek mythology.

I've been using Thanatos for almost 20 years (fuck I'm old) starting in grade 9 where during lunch hour a bunch of us went to the computer lab to play Descent II (we were super cool). At the time we were doing a class on Greek mythology and being the bad ass I was I chose the handle Thanatos which is the greek personification of death.

What's your story? How did you come up with your gamer name?

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
Mine is shortened from my old Minecraft username, cmptrzd1592.
The story behind THAT name is a little more interesting.
I used to play Halo 2 a lot with my older cousin, who used the name Spclzd244. The Spclzd is the word specialized with the vowels taken out,
s p e c i a l i z e d.
As I was just getting into IT at that time, I decided to use the same kinda thing, but with computerized.
c o m p u t e r i z e d
cmptrzd
As for the 1592, it's not quite as fancy.
I was born on the 15th day of a month in 1992.
cmptrzd + 1592 = cmptrzd1592

tl;dr I overcomplicated shit, then uncomplicated it.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
:yaoming: she has standards. Also, holy shit fastest thread derailment ever.

apply-cold-water-to-the-burned-area.jpg

Reactions: nb

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker

I always thought it was because you were a fan of CM Punk...

I've already told this story but sure for the purpose of this thread.
There was a girl called Laura (Lauz for short) I used to sit across from in my Science class when I was around 11/12ish. I had known her for quite some time and she was a pretty good friend.
One day she had 4 or so Pokemon cards in her pencil case, on one of them she had changed the name from Charmander to Lauzmander.
So I sat thinking about what kind of name I could use and came up with Zackychuu. Used it ever since.

TL;DR: Zackary + Pikachu = Zackychuu.
(or Raichu, it doesn't really matter)

swan

DARKLY Regular
The Last Archelon (my alt ID) comes from the name of a band I was in which we chose after a trip to the ROM to see the Darwin exhibit some years back. It became kind of a running theme for our album and we built a whole mythology around it, which is summarized in this short music video we made:

With swan/swanington, I'm pretty much on the steve boat. It's just my name. Caught on in highschool and never dropped.

Matthew

TF2 Staff
Mine was a very long process to come up with, I started out as a sperm, I then was in mom, than 9 months later boom, Matthew was chosen. It's complicated shit.

14bux

Senior TF2 Admin
I was 14 at the time of making the account. "Bux" is actually a shortened form of what my friends call me irl. And no, my name isn't Buxton. I get that one a lot.

AAA

A Little Darkly
To be honest I dont even know how mine came about, I guess at the time i was thinking about buying some batteries and AAA came about, and just decided to stick with it ever since. Not really an acronym or anything.

Matthew

TF2 Staff
To be honest I dont even know how mine came about, I guess at the time i was thinking about buying some batteries and AAA came about, and just decided to stick with it ever since. Not really an acronym or anything.

You should have went with "XXX".

nb

DARKLY Regular
Well, I got "Newb" from my Minecraft username: Newb_The_Gamer2

And I got that username when I was in grade 5, when people from my school kept calling me a noob (I didn't know how to spell it back then... Lol) because I didn't hang out with them, and I didn't play CoD like they did. They wern't cool at all, they were just dumb, that's why I didn't hang out with them.

Then, when I got Minecraft, I named myself Newb_The_Gamer2 because I thought I would become a big gamer in the future (kinda true), and I thought noob was spelt "Newb".

So, really, I have been called Newb my whole life so far, so I decided to stick with the name. :)