NEWS Toronto Servers Back Up [Update]

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
I played for a bit at around 1:30 AM, but I don't want to comment yet because the server wasn't full. I'll report back later today.

Last edited:

Shotgun Jesus

Professional Cocksucker
Staff member
I didn't see that server wide lag spike for the two maps I played. Then again, it doesn't happen every map anyway.

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
I didn't see that server wide lag spike for the two maps I played. Then again, it doesn't happen every map anyway.

If it's not that common, is it really worth switching host for, or are the servers playable? I mean we're working with the host to find the problem, but what if we can't find it? Then what?

Freak

DARKLY Regular
If it's not that common, is it really worth switching host for, or are the servers playable? I mean we're working with the host to find the problem, but what if we can't find it? Then what?
Then... we sacrifice Brains to the gods.

Shotgun Jesus

Professional Cocksucker
Staff member
When it does happen it happens often. Maybe 4 or 5 times a map.

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
The big chokes still seem to be occurring, but they're more instantaneous now. I haven't seen one that has lasted as long as they once did. Subjectively, the 'hit reg' seems to get progressively worse as more and more of these chokes occur. I don't know if the impact of these chokes on the server are less severe now. It's hard to say.

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
It's progressively worse for me where as before it was intermittent lag and seldom (once a map at worst) to now where I'm not certain I should even bother to play. TekSavvy is peered with TORIX so I've got the best possible route and my latency is very minimal. I even toyed with raising it via traffic shaping (pf) to simulate the often too typical stuttering player which have become a nuisance to play against but it's unjust. I can't put this all on the servers performance because the games networking logic seems just as questionable. It seems to favour the highest latency or try to level the playing field but it's causing too much variance in the game play. I play on Darkly for the atmosphere and couldn't care less about stats but I'm deeply missing the old days.

Last edited:

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
It's progressively worse for me where as before it was intermittent lag and seldom (once a map at worst) to now where I'm not certain I should even bother to play. TekSavvy is peered with TORIX so I've got the best possible route and my latency is very minimal. I even toyed with raising it via traffic shaping (pf) to simulate the often too typical stuttering player which have become a nuisance to play against but it's unjust. I can't put this all on the servers performance because the games networking logic seems just as questionable. It seems to favour the highest latency or try to level the playing field but it's causing too many variances in the game play. I play on Darkly for the atmosphere and couldn't care less about stats but I'm deeply missing the old days.

Post your traceroute.

The host wants to try changing the NIC adapter to see if that fixes anything. :waiting:

Last edited:

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
Post your traceroute.

The host wants to try changing the NIC adapter to see if that fixes anything. :waiting:

The routing is just fine and one of the best albeit TekSavvy DSL shaves off a hop compared with Cable. Hopefully a new NIC will be the saving grace because you don't need to hear us nagging ;)

Code:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |

|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

|                 hummingbird.localdomain -    0 |  100 |  100 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |

|                           10.125.12.129 -    0 |  100 |  100 |    6 |    8 |   16 |    8 |

|                          209.148.244.93 -    2 |   96 |   95 |    9 |   13 |   19 |   12 |

|                            69.63.249.57 -    0 |  100 |  100 |    8 |   12 |   23 |   11 |

|         ae0_2110-bdr04-tor.teksavvy.com -    2 |   96 |   95 |   10 |   16 |   57 |   10 |

|gw-spdnetwork.torontointernetxchange.net -    2 |   96 |   95 |   11 |   16 |   67 |   16 |

|                           208.68.90.171 -    2 |   96 |   95 |   10 |   14 |   21 |   15 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Code:
Tracing route to 208.68.90.171 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  hummingbird.localdomain [192.168.10.1]
  2     8 ms     7 ms     8 ms  10.125.12.129
  3    11 ms    11 ms    15 ms  209.148.244.93
  4    11 ms    11 ms    12 ms  69.63.249.57
  5    13 ms    13 ms    11 ms  ae0_2110-bdr04-tor.teksavvy.com [69.196.136.36]

6    11 ms    19 ms    10 ms  gw-spdnetwork.torontointernetxchange.net [206.10
8.34.81]
  7    12 ms    12 ms    13 ms  208.68.90.171

Trace complete.

Last edited:

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
It seems to favour the highest latency or try to level the playing field but it's causing too much variance in the game play.

YES.

And as for my previous post, I spoke too soon. The big chokes are back. I see instantaneous ones now and the big chokes.

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
The host updated bios and installed the new NIC adapter. Please let us know if the problem is still happening.

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
The host updated bios and installed the new NIC adapter. Please let us know if the problem is still happening.

And the NIC firmware? Intel updates often (Truly the only brand to use). What is their update strategy anyway? Most brands release firmware (incl. bios) updates semi-annually for enterprise hardware and it's often recommended to do an annual update.

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
And the NIC firmware? Intel updates often (Truly the only brand to use). What is their update strategy anyway? Most brands release firmware (incl. bios) updates semi-annually for enterprise hardware and it's often recommended to do an annual update.

To do it yearly is our responsibility I guess. And I don't believe we've been doing that. But the host did load a new driver with the new NIC.

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
Since the update so far only de_piranesi has had a spike in both times its been played but it's also the only map that is choppy to begin with. The servers SV is a lot lower now in the single digits.

NVM still intermittent lag spikes.

Last edited:

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
Since the update so far only de_piranesi has had a spike in both times its been played but it's also the only map that is choppy to begin with. The servers SV is a lot lower now in the single digits.

NVM still intermittent lag spikes.

:rip: I'm bailing :fuckthis: