Will the TF2 economy crash soon, or will it not?

Will it crash?

• Total voters

Darkly | Sir BaconChops

A Little Darkly
Since the value of refined metal dropping has been a main problem in tf2 with everyone upping the prices of keys, almost everything else has been falling in prices. Earbuds are dropping, some unusuals are dropping as well as other stuff, and especially refined metal are getting less and less valuable for each raised price on keys. This makes trading much difficult for many novice and new traders, and traders that are seeking profit.

But yet, some people believed that it isn't possible for the economy to crash. With people willing to buy anything they see, such as keys, it isn't going to happen. What do you think? I'm curious about some of your opinions here.

For me, I feel that it'll won't crash since so many people are willing enough to buy keys at such high prices, whether is to have them as a currency, reselling them for a scrap or two profit, or to have an unbox hype. xD

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
I bailed when refined dropped below 60 cents :p my account farming was no longer worth it. Oh i miss the early days when you could sell a ref for a dollar

Pretty sure the market is crashed. Regardless of that 600 bud hat trade.

Rip

Last edited:

☭Balthamous☭

DARKLY Regular
Its looking that way, the inflation on keys/ref will probably be the cause but I doubt it will crash for another few months there is still a high demand for certain items and as long as that is there the market is safe. On the bright side I cashed out my unusuals already so even if it does I won't be at a great loss x)

Darkly | Sir BaconChops

A Little Darkly
I bailed when refined dropped below 60 cents :p my account farming was no longer worth it. Oh i miss the early days when you could sell a ref for a dollar
I used to remember when I first started trading, keys were about 5.33 ref. It's sure has doubled since last year. Now, ref is worth less than my pocket change.

On the bright side I cashed out my unusuals already so even if it does I won't be at a great loss x)
Definitely a good idea. I try to get as much keys before the economy crashes (possibly) and not to resell them for any items, since it's a stable item that doesn't get affected on price changes in real money (keys will always be ~$2.35-2.50 in US dollars), and possibly sell them on the market before the economy ever has the chance to crash.

I demand my floating potato.
I believe there's a malfunction to your floating potato now...
5581212669_99ee5f2541_z.jpg

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
Pssh, when I was first trading, keys were 3 ref. The Winter Wonderland Wrap was worth 2 keys.

Today? :dontwanttofeel:

TF2 is not boring you just have to try new things when you do. Sure the economy is bad and getting worse that doesn't mean you can't play the game. Try different game modes, play different classes, do stupid stuff in pubs. Hell play mvm bootcamp and get frustrated with all the terrible kids who don't understand teamwork if you are that bored

nb

DARKLY Regular
TF2 is not boring you just have to try new things when you do. Sure the economy is bad and getting worse that doesn't mean you can't play the game. Try different game modes, play different classes, do stupid stuff in pubs. Hell play mvm bootcamp and get frustrated with all the terrible kids who don't understand teamwork if you are that bored

MVM! MVM!

But ya, from my perspective:
Right now, the economy makes it hard for new traders to build up, and experienced traders (a bit like me) to make some profit.
For example, before keys hit 10 ref, I was able to snag some quick buy killstreaks for something like 5 keys, sold all for 1 bud total. Now, I hardly get any kits.

The way to build up now is to get csgo shit, then sell that for a shitton of tf2 overpay. I have done that TWICE, first one was my 200$ knife for a 700$ unusual (price was outdated, but made profit nonetheless)
Second time was actually very recent, in where a trader offered 20 buds in unusuals on my csgolounge trade for my 9 bud knife.

Guys, if you want to make huge profit, I recommend you try this method. If if doesn't work, then fuck me, I just got lucky.

14bux

Senior TF2 Admin
TF2's economy isn't crashing. It's just getting really, really overinflated. With an unlimited supply of metal and keys in the game anyways, there wasn't an economy as much as it was a bartering system (think middle ages, pig for 4 chickens and stuff). People quote the keys and metal as the dollars and cents of TF2, but because there is no way to prevent metal or keys from being in circulation (unless Gabe feels like deleting all of it), the keys and metal are getting more and more abundant. Which in turn lowers their value. The demand for the things keys are used on, rare unboxes, sought after hats, and promos will still be there, but at some point the current metal and key system was going to lose grip at some point anyway. It wouldn't be a crash, just a very, very large gap between the upper and lower classes.

TF2's economy isn't crashing. It's just getting really, really overinflated. With an unlimited supply of metal and keys in the game anyways, there wasn't an economy as much as it was a bartering system (think middle ages, pig for 4 chickens and stuff). People quote the keys and metal as the dollars and cents of TF2, but because there is no way to prevent metal or keys from being in circulation (unless Gabe feels like deleting all of it), the keys and metal are getting more and more abundant. Which in turn lowers their value. The demand for the things keys are used on, rare unboxes, sought after hats, and promos will still be there, but at some point the current metal and key system was going to lose grip at some point anyway. It wouldn't be a crash, just a very, very large gap between the upper and lower classes.
That's the best description for the TF2 economy I have ever seen. It actually made me feel less worried about it so thanks!

Reactions: nb