[Solved] motherboard took a shit

Fork Included

TD Admin
On Monday my computer shut off and the case light was flickering. Google said either the PSU or the Mobo died.

Tested the PSU on another computer the following day and all was fine, so I took it back home and tried to hook up my computer again, only this time the motherboard went ppzzztttt and POOF, a cloud of acidy smoke.

my question... what are the chances of the cpu/ram/ssd/video being fried as well,

can they be partially damaged?

where can I go to get them tested, and would it be worth it?

a buddy is recommending I just buy a new mobo and hope for the best.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
There's always risk components took a zap, however it never fully turned on, and it's all grounded when plugged in. Should be ok in my opinion as it sounds like a capacitor popped (check for deformed cylinders on your board, they're really small). Just hoping it wasn't a cap around your cpu. Small voltage spike shouldn't damage things as the caps are rated for the appropriate amount.

Get another mobo. Testing components elsewhere will cost you anywhere from $50+ when you know the mobo needs to be replaced. Also, a mobo can be returned and money out into the appropriate upgrades/replacements as needed.

Just my opinion..

Fork Included

TD Admin
no popped capacitors on the top side, but what seemed to "pop" was a cluster of lines along the bottom edge on the backside. They bubbled up and melted a little.

new mobo it is!

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
no popped capacitors on the top side, but what seemed to "pop" was a cluster of lines along the bottom edge on the backside. They bubbled up and melted a little.

new mobo it is!
Oh boy... Trace those lines and see what chips (cpu, ram bank, etc) they go to and from. It may give you an idea of what components needs some testing. You don't want to fry the new board with an already-fried cpu or something.

I'm just being cautious...