47: Want buy good camera

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
47 I'm surprised Narf!, Shotgun Jesus and Fork Included have not responded.. they'd certainly be the ones to speak to. I would not purchase from FutureShop, until you secure a good price match. Check Henry's and other places.. Google 'Shopbot CameraNameHere' and see what's up, too. I know places like FutureShop won't price match online retailers, but it will give you an idea of what's out there for the price..

$alvador

TD Member
i haven't really been keeping up on SLR shit but Rebel is a popular line for good photo quality with light weight. If you can get one for under $700 with a telephoto lens that's impressive but Canon lenses aren't known for being so awesome so I guess you get what you pay for. Either way it looks like a good starter kit for the price.

Fork Included

TD Admin
for some reason I did not get initial mention alert... hmm

why does she want SLR? (Ie, big camera, detachable lens, etc)

If she just wants to take decent pics of random shit then you can get a much smaller camera that will do decent quality.

I would only recommend SLR if she is planning on exploring photography as a hobby (ie, different lenses, tripods, flashes, yada yada)

so if she doesn't actually need an SLR, stick to cameras that have the keyword "mirrorless"

for instance, 3 years ago I bought this little thing and have been using it 90% of the time.

http://www.amazon.ca/Fujifilm-X10-D...=UTF8&qid=1395104259&sr=1-1&keywords=fuji+x10

so confirm with her and report back, i'll give you some more options.

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
yes, she wants slr mirrorless nikon fujifilm tripod lenses. something on the pro side. what unit? much lens. bang per buck. wow

Fork Included

TD Admin
does she care about size?

"SLR" = traditonal, larger cameras where there is an actual mirror that projects the image, as seen through the lens, into the eyepeace at the top of the camera.

"Mirrorless" = there is no mirror, the cameras are 1/2 or 1/3 the size and the image is digitally displayed on an LCD screen on the back, just like your standard "point and shoot" camera but they've finally got the quality up to very high standards.

furthermore, "something on the pro side"

the good news is, that respectively to technologies of 4-5 years ago, even the basic cameras of today are fucking amazing. So it's hard to go wrong with the body.

i'm with Narf, i would go with a Nikon as well (for reasons too complex to explain now), but is 600 + tax your general price range, or do you want cheaper?

$alvador

TD Member
I'm a Nikon guy too but the Rebel has a lot going for it, such as the light weight and small size you'll otherwise only get in a more expensive mirrorless body, and a great sensor at the heart of it. The only downside to that T3i kit is the shit lens, but you can always put off upgrading that until wifey starts chewing your ear off about chromatic aberration.

Fork Included

TD Admin
35, you're missing the point

XT1 and K3 are pro level, the bodies alone are double 47's budget, and then we get into explaining the whole lens scence, it's too much.

His wife needs a good starter camera, Nikon and Canon both make excellent choices, they are very noob friendly.

the Ricoh GR is a nice piece, i would recomend that as an end-all camera for general use, but it's a camera you get after you figure out what you want out of a camera, not the best learning tool.

Narf!

TD Admin
Yup. Nikon and Canon are like the Hondas and Toyotas of cameras -- good price, lots of accessories and compatible lenses that are of other, cheaper brands. Very noob friendly.

td|35mm

TD Admin
35, you're missing the point

XT1 and K3 are pro level, the bodies alone are double 47's budget, and then we get into explaining the whole lens scence, it's too much.

His wife needs a good starter camera, Nikon and Canon both make excellent choices, they are very noob friendly.

the Ricoh GR is a nice piece, i would recomend that as an end-all camera for general use, but it's a camera you get after you figure out what you want out of a camera, not the best learning tool.

Not missing the point at all.

All 3 cameras are very easy to use... just as the Rebel she is looking at.
They all are very friendly and easy to use even for beginners. And when they get their stuff going, those cameras can be used "at pro level" as well.

The most expensive most probably is the Fuji one... but the other 2 can be found for under or around $1000. Not that expensive.

The GR is very friendly to use ;).

Anyway, those were my recommendations. Obviously they can choose whatever they think is better for them.

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
thx for the feedback, bros.

so is the t3i bang per buck camera? is that lens+bag package worthless? its $120 extra. what does that lens even do? me so noob

$alvador

TD Member
the lens is so you can see things clearly instead of them being like soooo tiny and upside-downey you know? :D seriously though, the lens quality should only be problematic if you're expecting a really high level of detail on pictures of far-off objects. You know that convar for games where you can decide how far ahead objects in the distance are rendered? I guess you can say it's sort of like that, the level of detail is bottlenecked by the GPU (lens).

This is basically what the difference between good and bad lens can look like

(image doesnt show up for me so direct link)
Chromatic_aberration_%28comparison%29.jpg

td|35mm

TD Admin
Kit lens are never good enough...lenses on a DSLR are one of the most important thing.

47, since you have your mind sent on the t3i, as a beginners camera is perfect - especially since it comes with 2 kit lenses.
Get it - if you can still find the deal.