can we upgrade to a logical points system plz?

iac

Future Ban List Occupant
I really dont know the background on why the current point system was purchased, but to me and i think many, the system makes no logical sense..
can this system be change to an alternative supplier or did it come with the server?

post your comments, i understand a vote is pointless as the discussion is ultimately up to Budgey and team.

if you have some evidence to prove this system was not developed by someone with down syndrome, please share it so we can stop complaining about it.

iac

Future Ban List Occupant
its actually based off the ELO system which is for ranking chess players...

of course the world's chess players are ranked on throwing grenades and tking teammates with high powered weapons.

Narf!

TD Admin
Stats get reset every once in a while anyway. Your rank, KDR, HSR, etc. will get wiped and you won't remember it. Just play the game for the fun of it. Participate in the knifing contests as it will teach you to not care about stats (except for knifing LOL) and how to be more of a ninja.

iac

Future Ban List Occupant
Why even have the stats if they dont make sense lol... this post in on behalf of everyone who is forced to watch people hide while the bomb blows up because they dont want to die.

remove stats period then.

iac

Future Ban List Occupant
funny how no one can reply with a logical answer except to just rip me, no pizza SJ

Fork Included

TD Admin
what are stats?

the only true stat is the frequency at which you are called a hacker and the level of rage you elicit from your downed enemies.

Narf!

TD Admin
Why even have the stats if they dont make sense lol... this post in on behalf of everyone who is forced to watch people hide while the bomb blows up because they dont want to die.

Uh...to save their guns because they're poor?

The stats do make sense -- just not to you. Each weap has a multiplier to it so if you kill with a hard-to-use-well weapon (like, say, knife, or pump shotty), then it's worth more points than if you were using an AK or M4. Doesn't make sense that someone who's raping with a TMP should get more credit for their kills than someone rocking an AK?

You also get more points for multiple kills (I think) and for completing objectives, so in your example of people hiding, if they really wanted to move up in ranks, then they should complete the objective and defuse the bomb. Otherwise, if there really isn't hope (too far from site, outnumbered, etc.) then the most logical move is to hide and save your weap. for the next round.

Ranking/point system may be "meh" for some people, but the HS ratio is a good tool for admins too. If someone has been sustaining a high HS ratio, then we might keep a closer eye on that player because maybe he/she's hacking.

Bottomline: in any game, people will like rankings/stats just to stay competitive or to track how their doing. BUT you should use it as a tool to see how you do and not as the reason why you play this game (or any game). If you don't like the stats, THEN DON'T LOOK AT IT.

Shotgun Jesus

Professional Cocksucker
Staff member
Why even have the stats if they dont make sense lol...
It lets us keep track of players. It gives us chatlogs, session stats, easy to read player events, how much time people play on the server, Steam IDs, etc... Derp.

iac said:
I can remove your stats if you like.

iac

Future Ban List Occupant
i guess you didn't quite understand the question posed.. the hiding while the bomb blows is 1 general example of many others that occur. The points awarded for player x killing player y who have different ranking is somewhat absurd, 50 points, 6 points, 1 points for kills etc. a handful of people who live by stats will jeopardize the server by hiding until the enemy is weak later in the round after teammates die weakening them. this kind of trend seems to have people complaining all the time and asking why we are waiting around for 1 guy to get his kills. i understand points keep people interested but why not make the kills and objective points standard. i think the major peeve for most is the 50 points, 30 points lost or gained. you list of objectives and weapon kills are so minor it doesnt even make a difference in the overall scheme of things.

if you want to defend it fine, but i am not sure why your general reply is always just live with it, dont look at it, or its a pub.. this is just a cop out

iac

Future Ban List Occupant
you can track player stats and profiles without the public stats tally you realize..

Fork Included

TD Admin
i think you need to play some scrims

Pub is Pub, 32 players on a map designed for 12-14? no thank you.

I wait until half my team is dead before i do anything, no shame. You know why? Because half the team are shitty players who are brain dead and jacked on crack. Once the idiots are dead you can start to actually do strategy.

Narf!

TD Admin
i guess you didn't quite understand the question posed.. the hiding while the bomb blows is 1 general example of many others that occur. The points awarded for player x killing player y who have different ranking is somewhat absurd, 50 points, 6 points, 1 points for kills etc. a handful of people who live by stats will jeopardize the server by hiding until the enemy is weak later in the round after teammates die weakening them. this kind of trend seems to have people complaining all the time and asking why we are waiting around for 1 guy to get his kills. i understand points keep people interested but why not make the kills and objective points standard. i think the major peeve for most is the 50 points, 30 points lost or gained. you list of objectives and weapon kills are so minor it doesnt even make a difference in the overall scheme of things.

if you want to defend it fine, but i am not sure why your general reply is always just live with it, dont look at it, or its a pub.. this is just a cop out

Your initial post was to ask to change the point system. How would this "more logical" point system work? Award 0 points for kills of any kind? Because as long as it gives points for kills, whether it be 1 point, 5 points or 100 points people will play the same as they are now.

Even if stats were removed, as long as you can hit TAB or whatever key it is you bind the show-map-score function to, it won't change a thing. People like to see their name on top of the leader board whether it's just for the map or over the cumulative score over the last 3 months. Unless we disable in-game map score (is that even possible from a server side?), those points will always be one of the main driving forces behind the way they play because that's who they are. Now suppose it *was* possible, and we *did* remove any and everything that hinted at a point/rank/tier system, then this will only drive some players away from our servers.

EDIT: I think more points are awarded for killing higher ranked players or players on a with a high kill streak/bounty. And instead of trying to change how others play, you should just worry about doing your part, or as Fork says, do some scrims which are more team/strategy based -- where high KDR doesn't necessarily mean you win.

iac

Future Ban List Occupant
don't be angry, i am trying to help start discussions to improve the community. if you post a poll i guarantee you will have over 80% of your players vote to remove or edit the current point system. stop attacking me because you wish to defend it to no end. it was a suggestion to move a more logical system. 1 kill = 5 points, the minute you add variable aspects to the points you get a flawed system.

the dry responses are more like wtf than td. clean it up.

DevilMayCare

Future Ban List Occupant
don't be angry, i am trying to help start discussions to improve the community. if you post a poll i guarantee you will have over 80% of your players vote to remove or edit the current point system. stop attacking me because you wish to defend it to no end. it was a suggestion to move a more logical system. 1 kill = 5 points, the minute you add variable aspects to the points you get a flawed system.

the dry responses are more like wtf than td. clean it up.

put up a poll badass

Narf!

TD Admin
What anger? Where is this anger you're detecting. How are the responses dry?

In my posts I've given you:
-a gist of how the system works
-why you might get more points for some kills over others
-why ranking/stats is necessary
-why a different point system won't change how players play
EDIT #2: -why removing stats entirely may have negative impacts on population

You've given me/us:
-point system sucks
-you're copping out
-your response are dry like a sandy vagina
-1 kill = 5 pts <---- this is your most constructive post, and I'm using "constructive" very generously here

Tell me, how does setting 1 kill = 5 pts change the flow of the game? Are all those people who camp around trying to pick off the wounded at the end going to magically turn into a team player? No.

EDIT #1: oh wait, I know! Now that the last CT alive knows he won't get some random 100pt kill to boost his points/ranking, he's just going to charge in there and try for the defuse to win the round!