Finding the PERFECT sensitivity- solved

Macido

DARKLY Regular
I thought i was already playing with low sens., but It turned out I was almost double what i should have been playing at. It's going to be different for everyone obviously which is why this guide is wicked, just makes sure raw input is on, no mouse Accell on anywhere, leave windows at default mouse speed and turn your mouse DPI up as high as it can go before you do this for best result.

http://www.overclock.net/t/173255/cs-s-mouse-optimization-guide
There is a video on youtube showing how this is done too. Guide is kinda wordy but it's worth doing.

2.10 - Finding the PERFECT sensitivity.

Thanks to impuLsive (so +rep him also
biggrin.gif
) I can describe an excellent way of getting very close to your ideal sensitivity in-game. The way this method works is you start your own server in CS:S by typing "map de_dust2" into console. Then you type, sv_cheats 1 in console. Then "give weapon_ak47" without quotes. Now you have an AK-47 and an empty server to use.

Start by looking at a wall somewhere in the open and fire a 3-5 round burst into it. Now keep the bullet marks in your crosshairs and start strafing, aim fixed as best as you can on the bullet holes. The goal is to be so perfectly on target looking at your bullet marks that it's as if there is a poll hinged from them that's attached to your gun, and you just rotate and move as one around the marks.

You can strafe around your marks from different distances, including close range and farther away to get a good feel for the exercise. Also consider what spots you play on your maps and the distances you usually will encounter enemies from while playing when you decide how far back to be from your marks. It also helps to move your mouse smoothly and not drag your hand too much while doing this exercise. When you are finished practicing, write down the sens you were using on a sheet of paper and get a calculator. (or use the windows calculator if you don't mind to Alt+Tab)

Now in console, type sensitivity and double that value. Try the same experiment again with twice the sens. Once you quickly get used to the new speed, see if you are tracking the marks better or worse than before. Write this sensitivity down on the sheet. Now you are going to compare to one half the original value, the calculator will help you find this, you only need to bother with precision to the nearest .001 when you write your sens down. Quickly adjust to it and do the strafing experiment and aim the best you can. While you are trying to decide consider the following: if a mouse sensitivity is too high you may find trouble controlling the crosshair and it may bounce around your marks and jitter, conversely if it is too slow, you may find yourself sliding off your mousepad or falling behind the bullet holes while you strafe.

Now look at the sheet of paper. Cross out the worst highest or lowest sens remaining, leaving your best two sensitivities on the sheet. If you kept the higher sens, double it again and test at that new higher sens. If you kept the lower sens, divide it by two and test at that new lowest one. Write down the new sens and again eliminate the worst highest or lowest sens remaining. If you found that the new one was better, repeat this paragraph, crossing out the worst lowest or highest sens until you get a 'worse' for the new sens.

Now you have two sens on the sheet above one you are 'worse', below the other you are 'worse'. Your ideal sens should be between them. Average the two sens by adding them together and dividing by 2, round to the nearest thousandth when you get decimals. Write down the average but don't test it yet. Instead, carefully test the highest and lowest sens remaining and decide which is worse, cross it out, then repeat this paragraph with the new two remaining sens until you can't for the life of you tell which of the two sensitivities are worse. Then average those two that were indistinguishable, and you now have very closely pin pointed your mouse sens.

I tried this method from different starting sens and always come within .05 of the same value each time. In the process of writing this guide I did this whole process on three occasions, first time getting 1.181, then getting 1.200 and another time getting 1.155. That is pretty accurate but there is some normal variation but it's less than ±5%.

So why is it different each time? First off because you are feeling differently on different days, it may be worth it to test more than one time over a few different days and from various starting sens. After maybe 3-5 trials throughout a week's timespan, average the different final values you have determined and that will be your long term perfect sensitivity.

That way no matter how you are feeling, you will be the closest to what sensitivity would be perfect for you on any given day of the week. This also means you don't have to change your sensitivity very often and when you do change it slightly (less than ±5%) you stay in your optimum "range" of good sensitivities. This is important, finding just one value and sticking to it! The mind likes consistency, and if you are constantly making big adjustments more than 5% up or down to your sensitivity you can expect to play inconsistently and have slumps more often.