Gabe Newell: Linux is the future of gaming, new hardware coming soon

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
so back to the task at hand, why new hardware? Wouldn't it just be drivers for linux and there you go?

And I know for a fact that a lot of the game code already runs on a linux base because you host servers, it's just drawing the graphical element, right DATGUY ANSWER ME

Smurf Eater

Donator Supreme!
"Next week we're going to be rolling out more information about how we get there and what are the hardware opportunities we see for bringing Linux into the living room," Newell said. 9/16/13

The Gabe will deliver...9/23/13, proof of Half Life 3??? 9/3=3 3 in 23, 3 in 13, leaves 20 and 10, take out the zeros, 2+1=3 HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED

Reactions: 47

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
YUP. It's only convenient because Steam's forced us to buy shit through them, just like EA has their own jewish market.

I always prefer a hard-copy, instead of someone being able to just deactivate my games remotely.. it's a shitty thought.

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
I'm actually a steam proponent. I can't keep physical disks long because I either spill beer on them or lose them.

However, I'm not such a big fan of this thing, because YOU CAN'T DOWNLOAD IT YET.

What the fuck is the point of announcing it? So we all make space on our VM's? cheesus.

Smurf Eater

Donator Supreme!
"SteamOS will be available soon as a free download for users and as a freely licensable operating system for manufacturers. Stay tuned in the coming days for more information."

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen. It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

:yaoming:

Linux sucks.
Steam sucks.
SteamOS will suck.
"living room gaming" sucks.
Gabe is a fag.

Smurf Eater

Donator Supreme!
:yaoming:

Linux sucks.
Steam sucks.
SteamOS will suck.
"living room gaming" sucks.
Gabe is a fag.
I don't seem to understand. Linux sucks compared to what? The entire internet is ran on linux. Steam sucks, compared to what? Origin? Ubisoft's downloader or those other poor ripoffs of steam? SteamOS will suck? Maybe. Living room gaming sucks? I don't know if I can agree with that, I'd rather have my computer hooked up to my big screen then running on the side on a desktop setup. If they can make a seamless transition between how I use my tv in the living room and how I use my computer into one, it will be worth it. We all know at first it won't be perfect, I'm not expecting much as long as it doesn't interfere with my ability to play games. Gabe is a fag? Could be. Overall I think Steam had an awesome impact on gaming throughout the years. It kept me and my friends in contact and helped us get together to play. Gamespy had their own cheesy version which was horrible and they constantly kept updating it and forced you to buy upgrades. Without the two, we mostly used irc to get together to game. Now no matter what game I have, I can check my friends list and see who is on and where. I can see if they're playing new games, ask them how said games are, and check them out for myself because many of my steam friends have a similar taste in games. To say steam sucks, well, I don't see anything better and for me it has been an overly positive experience.

Smurf Eater

Donator Supreme!
I'd certainly prefer to be gaming on a Steam OS made specifically for gaming without all the extra garbage you don't need from Windows 8 and iOS. It sounds like it will be a lean and mean OS that will still allow me to browse the web and do all the things media wise, as well as other applications, without sucking up all my resources. Since I moved to Ubuntu from Windows, I'm emulating windows and running CS:GO, and it's much smoother even though it does have one consistent annoying bug. It really kicks ass and Gabe himself said a few months short of a year ago that they were going to start porting every game to Linux. Every windows compatibility update on Ubuntu and every CS:GO update makes my game run smoother and smoother, which just shows how shitty Windows was before and how many resources it sucked up for nothing.

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
He's trolling you smurf. Steam doesn't know linux, unix or any other non windows OS. In fact, I know for sure he still usings WinXP pre RC1.

I use TVmedia, and pipe movies through to my xbox and hence TV. I do this because my TV doesn't have an wireless NIC, but when I get a new TV, I'll just pipe it through directly, and it would be nice just to have an all in one platform, which is what linux is lacking.

Currently it takes quite a bit to build.

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/ Aww shit, the counter has reset, we're on stage 1 of 3 people. 1 of 3....HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!!!

m6gqcywx.gif