• Please remember to wrap not safe for work text/images in [NSFW][/NSFW] tags.
    Example: [NSFW][img]http://darklygaming.com/images/spinnysgapedass.jpg[/img][/NSFW]

Skiing

Remy

TD Member / Gay Gyoza
Anyone know anything about skis?

I'm looking to buy a pair but not sure what I should be looking for. Figured id start a thread as some TD folk are athletic and may know a little something.

Going to google more info later today.

Xilorator

Blackpulse Admin
I tried dude i really did. Couldnt stand on the board for more than a few moments before having to bail. Ill try again later on but I enjoy skiing.

I actually just learned recently. It all about being able to brake, if you can brake you can go down any slope.

Blitzkrieg

BANNED
I hate snowboarders!!! They go down the slope horizontally, and scrape all the snow off, leaving a sheet of ice so that everyone behind them have to suffer.:iceposts:personal problem...

Brains

TD Admin (and LiR)
Snowboarding>skiing man. Takes time but worth it. I can ride both regular and goofy nbd

BIOP

TD Admin / Rocker of City-Hair
I tried dude i really did. Couldnt stand on the board for more than a few moments before having to bail. Ill try again later on but I enjoy skiing.

It takes at least 3-4 times out before you get the hang of boarding. Go with someone who can teach you. It's a painful learning curve though.

TurboTaco

TD Admin
Enough with the snowboarders!!

Remy, if you are looking for new pair of skiis, you gotta ask yourself:
1. What is your skill level?
2. What type of terrain will you ski on mostly? (Moutains w real fresh snow vs Hills/Rdiges w man-made snow)
3. What is your budget?

If you are new to skiing, you probably can get away with renting the first season or two. Rental skiis are pretty all-round and most ski clubs have decent skiis you can rent affordably for beginners.

If you are dead set on buying a pair for yourself, I would recommend either used skiis that are sold at a ski shop or to check out Source for Sports or online ordering as there are some great deals and free shipping online.

If you are skiing on hills/ridges like Blue Mountain, you don't need extremely stiff or thick skiis as they will hinder your maneuvering on shitty man-made/light snowfalls. You can typically find a pair used/new from $180-400 by Atomic, Rossignol, Head, K2, or Salomon. I personally like Salomon and Atomic as I have owned a pair in the past/current.

Binding wise, you won't need anything crazy if you're are beginner or even moderate. A pair of entry-level bindings should be anywhere from $100-200 new or used. You can opt for same brand as your skiis or choose whatever is on sale. The shop techs will adjust the bindings to something looser/tighter depending on your skill level or you can do so yourself if you know what you're doing.

Boots <---Now these are super important. Probably more important than the skiis and bindings you get. Don't buy a cheap pair of boots, get a pair that is COMFORTABLE. Nothing too tight, loose, and uncomfortable. Find and try multiple pairs and walk around in them, stand in them, lean in them. Feel the pressure points, note any uncomfortable spots, and compare between. Your boots you can keep forever with any pair of skiis/bindings you upgrade.

There are a ton of new features on ski boots that weren't around when I bought mine. Typically they have 'modes' that you can switch from ski to walk with the flip of a 'switch' on the heel or side of a boot. They are also made out of different composites now for 'lightness' and 'comfort' but you want a pair that can take a beating too. Enough flex but not too much give; stiff but not constrained. You can figure out what you like but won't really know the true feel of your boots until you hit the slopes. Aesthetics are your own personal thing, it all comes down to comfort. A good pair of ski boots can be anywhere from $250-600.

Hope that helps Remy.

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
u fuct up, skis and boots are insane expensive. gotta buy on boxing day or rest in piss.

Remy

TD Member / Gay Gyoza
Looking at roughly 400-500$ budget. Im going to try Sporting life on yonge this week. They apparently know their SHYTE!!!

Skill level Moderate - I've skied about 10 times over the last few years. Renting is just costing me more than buying at this point since I want to do it more regularly.

Ill mostly be going to places where they make snow for now and will want to start heading into Terrain parks as well.

mandy

TD Member
Looking at roughly 400-500$ budget.

Ahhhhhh remy, that's not gonna cut it haha. For decent gear (and quality sake) you'll be looking at around $900-1000.

Do you intend on skiing for a while? Or are you just trying this stuff out? Either way, if you really have no idea... I'd suggest picking the shit out of Sporting Life employees' brains and then trying shit out in the rentals department at Blue or something.

That's what I did this season. I've been skiing ever since I was a little kid but skis have changed a lot in the past 8 years lolol.

iac

Future Ban List Occupant
if we work out a 15 year payment plan, i will consider selling you one pair of extra Salomon 1080s I have.

iac

Future Ban List Occupant
I will send you an update on fire sales in the GTA, you certainly should never buy your skis from sporting life or skis and biikes if you plan to get a good price.

TurboTaco

TD Admin
Looking at roughly 400-500$ budget. Im going to try Sporting life on yonge this week. They apparently know their SHYTE!!!

Skill level Moderate - I've skied about 10 times over the last few years. Renting is just costing me more than buying at this point since I want to do it more regularly.

Ill mostly be going to places where they make snow for now and will want to start heading into Terrain parks as well.

I would still say you are a beginner remy. 10 times per season is the minimum i would say for a moderate skiier. If you have only gone 10 times total then ur still at the start of the learning curve.

For $4-500 u can get used entry level skiis n bindings for sure

If you are going to terrain park u need a helmet, 100% they wont allow u on jumps without one

Trick skiis are totally different from hill skiis which also are completely different from alpine which each require their own different types of bindings too.

I would suggest you buy a beginner or intermediate pair of hill skiis n bindings since you prob wont be doing even small jumps or mountains for a few seasons

You will def need a bigger budget if ur buyin new, at least $1k after taxes

Remy

TD Member / Gay Gyoza
Well IMO beginner is like cant stand cant turn cant stop lol. but sure.

Yeah im not going to spend 1k on this yet. just something to start with and just not get killed at the rental shop.

Ill be picking their brains soon so we will see what they say.