The Current State of Competitive Matchmaking

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
I want to get back into Competitive, but I have a few reservations. In principle, I've always liked the idea of the ranked matchmaking system that CS: GO uses, even if some of the individual ranks are giant fucking quagmires, but there's been too much bullshit to deal with in the past. I could have subjected myself to the bullshit, but I've obviously chosen not to up until this point.

We all know what the issues are with MM; how prevalent are these issues now? I'm hoping to read responses from a wide variety of ranks. I'm also looking for a few people to rank up with legitimately that are around LE/LEM. I'd like to go full try hard mode and try to rank up to GE if the hacks aren't as prevalent now.

thewhaleman

TD Admin
To be completely honest north american servers have gotten worse in the last few months. Valve can barely run 64tick servers. There has also been an increase in EU players match making in NA, because they get a slight advantage thanks for valve's attempts at fixing high ping issues. Currently hackers are pretty low, also valve updated their bullet registrations, bullets now register server side and client side completely different. This stops some hacks. This doesn't mean a hack wont be release next week though. All in all. It's still shitty but if you're with a solid team, playing maps you're all comfortable with, it's ok.

Then again why would you want to MM, darkly has a point system! Become a point whore, save on last rounds, bait team mates, stack teams, and constantly type !rank.

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
Then again why would you want to MM, darkly has a point system! Become a point whore, save on last rounds, bait team mates, stack teams, and constantly type !rank.
Resetting the stats on a monthly basis would probably help to mitigate some of these issues. I know that some of the other pubs do it, but I don't want to turn this into a thread about point whoring in pubs.

Currently hackers are pretty low, also valve updated their bullet registrations, bullets now register server side and client side completely different. This stops some hacks. This doesn't mean a hack wont be release next week though.

Yeah, I read on Reddit when the update hit that it's currently impossible to do some of the hacks now that bullets register differently. However, I'm assuming that walling is still going to be an issue.

I solo'd a match a couple of weeks ago and it went well. No one appeared to be hacking, and reg was surprisingly decent. I don't have a lot of knowledge on networking, but having high ping in 64 tick servers in particular seems to exacerbate hit reg issues, in my experience. I feel like I can't be myself when I have high ping in 64 tick MM servers. It's like I have to completely change my play style, and it's extremely frustrating. Not the case in the last MM match I played. I was around 20ish ping the entire time.

Last edited:

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
FaceIt is the way to go if you're in it for competitive team play. The servers are 128 tick and they have daily/weekly tournaments where you gain points. The points can be used to acquire skins, server time, peripherals, etc. Overall it's great preparation for the upcoming LanETS. You just need a team.

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
FaceIt is the way to go if you're in it for competitive team play. The servers are 128 tick and they have daily/weekly tournaments where you gain points. The points can be used to acquire skins, server time, peripherals, etc. Overall it's great preparation for the upcoming LanETS. You just need a team.
To be honest, I don't have the time to attempt to go competitive for real because of work and university, so I don't know if FaceIt or Cevo are for me. I did, however, buy a one month sub to ESEA so that I could do pugs whenever I want. I haven't tried it out yet, though.

I kind of want to get GE in Volvo servers so that I could say that I did it, though. I just don't want to waste my time if there are a lot of hackers. I know that the results are reversed if the hackers are sent on VACations, but I'd still be wasting time that I don't really have to waste.

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
To be honest, I don't have the time to attempt to go competitive for real because of work and university, so I don't know if FaceIt or Cevo are for me. I did, however, buy a one month sub to ESEA so that I could pug whenever I want. I haven't tried it out yet, though.

Alright, ESEA is sneaky if you used PayPal because it setups reoccurring payments which you have to manually delete in your PayPal account or you could get a surprise in your bank statements. It happened to me and I was quite annoyed and maybe they fixed that now.

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
Alright, ESEA is sneaky if you used PayPal because it setups reoccurring payments which you have to manually delete in your PayPal account or you could get a surprise in your bank statements. It happened to me and I was quite annoyed and maybe they fixed that now.
Yep, thanks for the heads up. Already on top of it.

Hotshot.exe

DARKLY Regular

Faceit has some pretty shitty servers, and game becomes randomly choppy at times with randy ass frame drops. 10/10 would not recommend faceit, mm, cevo. Best bet is ESEA if you really thinking about getting good.

MetalLobster

TD Admin
I don't see much issue within my rank, MG-II, but I still read people from higher ranks complaining about 64 tick and hackers, despite some server changes. The servers may be better now since they've just done another wave of VAC bans, IDK.

thewhaleman

TD Admin
I don't see much issue within my rank, MG-II, but I still read people from higher ranks complaining about 64 tick and hackers, despite some server changes. The servers may be better now since they've just done another wave of VAC bans, IDK.
When you get into the eagles and even badges, things get suspicious as all hell. However this new vac ban wave, wp valve. Maybe it's time to MM more for a little while.

Hotshot.exe

DARKLY Regular
9cf48e52fefb330b0ff9502381e34b0071016af6cf62a6641b575b1521fa2e72.jpg

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
DenchMaster/Chez and I are going to be playing some pugs on ESEA soon, and we're looking for a few other players to join us. I recommend that you be at least a solid DMG if you're planning to join us, although this is just going to be for pugs. If you're already a decent player and want to play in an environment where you won't get shit on for doing something wrong, come and join us! This is just to have fun and to get a bit better at the game.

h0und

DARKLY Regular
You don't need to worry about cheaters unless you are SMFC/GE or playing with one on your team when it comes to match making. If you want to avoid MM then ESEA is by far the best bet you have of playing solid pugs, you'll almost never run into a cheater but you will have the headache of getting owned by a 8 RWS player randomly. There is also CEVO pugs that are on client but the pugs are insanely easy because majority of the time you are paired up against noobs.

If you want you can add me on steam and I can MM with you to rank you up and get you to global (But I won't be playing as much now that the holidays are over). On GE I still encounter hackers about every 2 games lol