World Series Game 3 - Was Obstruction the Right Call?

Was obstruction the right call?

• Yes

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ghett0

DARKLY Regular
Yup. Had Middlebrooks not lifted his legs up to stop the runner from hauling ass to home plate, he would have been safe. It's the right call. As a referee, I reject any and all arguments about "It's too big a game" and all that nonsense because, as you know Sticks, being a ref yourself, that there is no magic asterisk in the rule book that says that you call the game differently under one circumstance than you do in the next....

Unless of course you work for the NHL, which has Bush League refereeing policies, or the NBA, which is the most subjectively officiated and rigged sport known to man. How anyone can bet on the NBA baffles my mind because it is a sport who's rules seem to be made for manipulating point spreads with officials' decisions.

EDIT: I have money on the Cardinals to win the World Series, which should make my bias / opinion pretty clear. :P

Even if I didn't, though, I still think the right call was made.

HappySticks™

TD Admin
^I agree with everything you just said above.^
This reminds me of when I referee younger kids (U-8 or so), I always get complaints by the coaches that the rules are different for smaller kids and what not. In my head I am thinking, "Show me in the rules where exactly it says younger players need to follow these specific rules." Yes, there are certain things that you are going to call differently refereeing younger players as opposed to older.

This relates to bigger games like the World Series, Super Bowl, etc. Just because they are in the World Series doesn't mean the rules change one bit.

Ghett0

DARKLY Regular
^I agree with everything you just said above.^
This reminds me of when I referee younger kids (U-8 or so), I always get complaints by the coaches that the rules are different for smaller kids and what not. In my head I am thinking, "Show me in the rules where exactly it says younger players need to follow these specific rules." Yes, there are certain things that you are going to call differently refereeing younger players as opposed to older.

This relates to bigger games like the World Series, Super Bowl, etc. Just because they are in the World Series doesn't mean the rules change one bit.
I had a coach give me grief because "I teach my guys the FIFA Rules and then you call things that aren't the FIFA rules, and now I look bad to my kids and have to tell them the ref is an idiot"

Since this coach was an asshole, I didn't bother to tell him "These are U11 kids, they don't PLAY by FIFA rules, and as the coach, YOU are idiot for misleading your kids into thinking they do." Instead, I just wrote the most heinous Match Report about his abuse and dissent I have written to date and let the league deal with him. I doubt they did anything about it because the OSA are dickless and let themselves get pushed around by coaches and leagues all the time rather than standing behind their officials, but whatever. I did what was right; I called the game according to their directives and even though I knew they would hang me out to dry at the end of it all, I still did the right thing and kept my cool rather than letting him get me to sink to his level.

In the end, that's all they really want; is to make you look as stupid as they do.